Register to reply

Software for atomic orbitals oveplap in molecules

by sludger13
Tags: atomic, molecules, orbitals, oveplap, software
Share this thread:
sludger13
Mar8-14, 04:23 PM
P: 75
I would be most grateful for some tips of interactive software, which shows the hybridized atomic orbitals overlapping in the molecule (I don't mean resulting molecular orbitals but atomic orbitals of which overlapping forms MO).
And does this works also in Mathematica?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Faster, cheaper tests for sickle cell disease
Simulations for better transparent oxide layers
Characterizing strontium ruthenate crystals for electrochemical applications
DrDu
Mar9-14, 05:56 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,596
You are mixing up something here. Hybridized orbitals aren't a concept of MO theory, i.e., molecular orbitals are not built up from hybrid orbitals but directly from atomic orbitals.
If you want to get best hybrid orbitals you have to use valence bond software and among those there are not many programs which do the hybrid optimization. The Spin coupled valence bond program by Gerratt, Cooper and Karadakov comes to my mind. You would have to contact this group to get access.
sludger13
Mar10-14, 03:38 PM
But the orbital overlap is dictated by the shape of orbitals, as I laically deduce. E.g. the exchange interaction as a measure of overlap could depend upon atom hybridization, isn't it true?

I'm curious how chlorine's (3d) orbitals and oxygen's (2p) orbitals are ovelapping in space, so that every (sp2) oxygen participate in delocalized orbital in (ClO2-, ClO3-, ClO4-). I would be satisfied just with a single picture, however I haven't found any.

DrDu
Mar11-14, 02:21 AM
Sci Advisor
Software for atomic orbitals oveplap in molecules

Quote Quote by sludger13 View Post
But the orbital overlap is dictated by the shape of orbitals, as I laically deduce. E.g. the exchange interaction as a measure of overlap could depend upon atom hybridization, isn't it true?
Sure, but this is valence bond theory, not MO theory.
I'm curious how chlorine's (3d) orbitals and oxygen's (2p) orbitals are ovelapping in space, so that every (sp2) oxygen participate in delocalized orbital in (ClO2-, ClO3-, ClO4-). I would be satisfied just with a single picture, however I haven't found any.
Chlorines d-orbitals are unimportant for bonding. This is true in all main group element compounds, not only chlorine.
See, e.g.,
Reed, Alan E., and Paul V. R. Schleyer. "Chemical bonding in hypervalent molecules. The dominance of ionic bonding and negative hyperconjugation over d-orbital participation." Journal of the American Chemical Society 112.4 (1990): 1434-1445.
sludger13
Mar15-14, 09:33 AM
Ok, so the overlap is "nothing special" due to inefficient orbital's shapes. But what are their shapes? As the orbitals might be unhybridized, could I imagine "standard" atomic ((p) and one/two/three (d)) orbitals overlapping (just a little :))?
DrDu
Mar16-14, 05:47 PM
Sci Advisor
This article may be interesting and contains a lot of figures of the valence bond orbitals in main group compounds:
http://books.google.de/books?id=Ct6_...onding&f=false

Register to reply