Register to reply

MO Diagrams for Heteronuclear Diatomic Molecules

by ThomasMagnus
Tags: diagrams, diatomic, heteronuclear, molecules
Share this thread:
ThomasMagnus
Mar31-14, 07:06 PM
P: 138
I'm trying to understand how to draw MO diagram for molecules such as CO, HF, and NO. I am finding so much conflicting information on how to order the σ and pi boxes in the diagram. Now, I know that the more electronegative atom's orbitals are going to be lower in energy than the less electronegative atom.

I have learned so far that there are two ways to set up MO diagrams for homo-nuclear diatomic molecules: one was with the pi 2p bonding MO below the σ2p bonding orbital and the reverse for atoms with an atomic number ≥8. How can this be applied to heteronuclear molecules? I keep finding different sources using both ways:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Are both correct then?

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Faster, cheaper tests for sickle cell disease
Simulations for better transparent oxide layers
Characterizing strontium ruthenate crystals for electrochemical applications
DrDu
Apr1-14, 03:33 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,596
The correct order of the orbitals depends on the s-p energy gap in both atoms, the relative energetic distance of the s and p orbitals on both atoms, respectively, the orbital overlapp etc. So to obtain the correct ordering will require a calculation.
You may try this yourself using e.g. some Extended Hueckel Calculators:
http://www.chembio.uoguelph.ca/educm...5/software.htm
or
http://yaehmop.sourceforge.net/

On the other hand, the correct ordering is often not important, e.g. when both orbitals whose relative energy is unclear are both occupied.

Register to reply