Proving the "Thread Change: Spinor Identity

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of a spinor identity and how to determine the constant A in the equation. The conversation touches on the use of antisymmetry and the role of the spinor metric. It is eventually determined that the correct expression for θ^{α}θ^{β} is ε^{αβ} (θθ) with a factor of 1/2. There is also a discussion about the presence of a minus sign and the use of conjugate spinors.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
THREAD CHANGE *SPINOR IDENTITY*...although it's connected with SuSy in general, it's more basic...

I am trying to prove for two spinors the identity:
[itex] θ^{α}θ^{β}=\frac{1}{2}ε^{αβ}(θθ)[/itex]

I thought that a nice way would be to use the antisymmetry in the exchange of α and β, and propose that:
[itex] θ^{α}θ^{β}= A ε^{αβ} [/itex]
where A is to be determined... To do so I contracted with another metric ε so that:

[itex] ε_{γα}θ^{α}θ^{β}= A ε_{γα}ε^{αβ} = Α (-δ^{β}_{γ})[/itex]
So I got that:

[itex] θ_{γ}θ^{β}= Α (-δ^{β}_{γ})[/itex]
So for β≠γ I'll have that
[itex] θ_{γ}θ^{β}=0[/itex]
And for β=γ I'll have that
[itex] θ_{β}θ^{β}=-A=-θ^{β}θ_{β}[/itex]
or [itex]A=(θθ)[/itex]

And end up:
[itex] θ^{α}θ^{β}= ε^{αβ} (θθ)[/itex]

Another way I could determine A, would be by dimensionaly asking for [spinor]^2 term, without indices which would lead me again in A=(θθ)...but the same problem remains
Unfortunately I cannot understand how the 1/2 factor disappears...Meaning I counted something twice (I don't know what that something is)..

Could it be that I had to write first:
[itex] θ^{α}θ^{β}=\frac{(θ^{α}θ^{β}-θ^{β}θ^{α})}{2}[/itex]
and then say that the difference on the numerator is proportional to the spinor metric ε? If so, why?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think there is a minus sign on right hand side.Anyway ,you should use the identity ##ε_{AB}ε^{CD}=δ^{D}_{A}δ^{C}_{B}-δ^{C}_{A}δ^{D}_{B}##.
So,
##-\frac{1}{2}ε^{AB}(θθ)=-\frac{1}{2}ε^{AB}ε_{CD}θ^Cθ^D=-\frac{1}{2}[δ^{B}_{C}δ^{A}_{D}-δ^{A}_{C}δ^{B}_{D}]θ^Cθ^D=-\frac{1}{2}[θ^Bθ^A-θ^Aθ^B]=θ^Aθ^B##

Likes 1 person
Thanks... although I'm also trying to understand how/where I did the "mistake" in my approach :)
The minus, at least for the notations I'm following, is for when you have the conjugate spinors ...

ChrisVer said:
And for β=γ I'll have that
[itex] θ_{β}θ^{β}=-A=-θ^{β}θ_{β}[/itex]
or [itex]A=(θθ)[/itex]
don't you think you have missed a factor of 2 here.

1. What is the "Thread Change: Spinor Identity" and why is it important?

The "Thread Change: Spinor Identity" is a mathematical concept that describes the transformation of spinor fields under Lorentz transformations. It is important because it helps us understand the behavior of spinors in different reference frames, which is crucial in many areas of physics such as quantum mechanics and relativity.

2. How was the "Thread Change: Spinor Identity" first discovered?

The "Thread Change: Spinor Identity" was first discovered by physicist Paul Dirac in the 1920s. He was trying to reconcile the principles of quantum mechanics and relativity, and the concept of spinors played a crucial role in his work.

3. What evidence supports the validity of the "Thread Change: Spinor Identity"?

There is a significant amount of experimental evidence that supports the validity of the "Thread Change: Spinor Identity". This includes observations of the behavior of spinors in particle accelerators and other high-energy experiments, as well as the successful predictions made by theories that incorporate the identity.

4. Can the "Thread Change: Spinor Identity" be proven mathematically?

Yes, the "Thread Change: Spinor Identity" can be proven mathematically using principles from group theory and differential geometry. It involves manipulating spinor equations and applying Lorentz transformations to show that the identity holds true.

5. How does the "Thread Change: Spinor Identity" relate to other concepts in physics?

The "Thread Change: Spinor Identity" is closely related to other concepts in physics such as symmetry, Lorentz invariance, and the spin-statistics theorem. It also has implications for the behavior of particles with half-integer spin, such as fermions, which are crucial in understanding the structure of matter.