Will We Ever Unlock the Mysteries of the Universe in Our Lifetime?

• Thread starter Dr.Brain
  • Start date
In summary: Although some of the mysteries may still be unsolved by then, I'm confident in the progress of science and that humanity will have even more knowledge and understanding to bring to bear on these questions.
Dr.Brain
I was wondering if in future , like in 2800 or 3000 , we get enough information about life on some other planets, and we get to contact and interact till 3500 and then we setup our bases on other planets till 4000..., then we start traveling light years pretty easily till 6000 , we form communities with people on other planet till 7000 ...

As a science student, I was thinking about the research on Universe life, extraterrestial , black holes, worm holes, dark energy , solar energy and other unsolved mysteries...and wondering ...they all might be solved within 7,000 years as I mentioned above...I feel so much pity on myself that I am a mere man who might die till 2060 ...I will die wondering human beings haven't done anything...And will never probably see what really happened after my death...the adventure that remains in front of me...the knowledge that waits us...poor me..

Does anyone feels the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
well it isn't the year 7000, but i can answer a few black hole questions...

it isn't a warp hole or anything, its a very immense gravitational body so immense in size and density that gravity can within a certain distance draw specs of light towards it... i can't qoute the formula but its the mass of both objects that provides gravitational pull. well its intense to understand that a tiny thing as lightless as... well light could be pulled inwards by such a large gravitational body.

thus why a black hole is referred to as a black hole, cause no light can escape the immense gravity of it. the event horizon is the point at which light itself is drawn towards inwards. and to qoute my grade 8 physics teacher it could crush the world to the size of a pee.

Dr.Brain said:
I will die wondering human beings haven't done anything...
I'm not sure what this means, but it sounds like you think humans haven't done anything scientifically. If that's the case, I can't agree at all. I'm stunned sometimes by what we've learned recently, and by the things we can engineer. Looked at against the backdrop of the whole of human history it seems to me things have accelerated beyond belief since Galileo.
And will never probably see what really happened after my death...the adventure that remains in front of me...the knowledge that waits us...poor me..
Here again, I feel that I am unable to do more than scratch the surface of what science has discovered to date. I feel less a loss about what will be discovered after my death, than by the fact I haven't the capacity to even read, much less integrate, everything humans already know right now.

I know how you feel Dr. Brain. If I could somehow know how things turn out in a few thousand years, it would be worth just about anything to know; like maybe 72% of my right large toe, maybe even more!

Here're some ways to look at it..

Although you may be missing future fun, you could be living out your life in full here contributing to society as you see fit doing what you like to do, rather than in a post-apocolyptic future hellhole, with organs failing and falling flat-lined fast from ferocious fallout fumes.

And all those mysteries are not for sure to be solved by 7000. I'm sure there may be new mysteries and riddles to facilitate future-man's concern for his post-mortem future world. I don't think mankind will ever feel like they're at the endpoint (unless faced with destruction). Continued civilization will have so many new opportunities. Answering one question raises two more.

Hapiness is all relative.. Our ancestors rejoiced with breakthrough discoveries about the world, proudly forged new territory, and were mesmerised by the Northern Lights. Everyone regardless of era has an equal opportunity on happiness. And of course nearly every human who ever lived/will live dreams about the future. And if you believe there is more than just this life we are living, then you should have hope and be at peace, for you will see the future. If you don't believe this, then you recognize that you are granted a window, a period of perspective. You should look out the window, it's a pretty good view.

Ar edhel said:
to qoute my grade 8 physics teacher it could crush the world to the size of a pee.
Is that a regular run-of-the-mill pee, or a heavy-duty beer pee?

Sorry about doing 2 posts, but I didn't want to spoil the symmetry of that last one. :biggrin:
That's not quite what black holes are about. They can be microscopic, or on the other end of the scale some people consider the Universe to be one. I'm going to bail on that, because it looks like a job for Space Tiger.
As far as the future is concerned, I'm counting on medical science to keep ahead of me enough that I am essentially immortal. (Although, frankly speaking as a smoker, I would not accept a lung transplant if someone else needed it because I brought it on myself. I would, however, work like hell to develop an artificial lung.) Some things that I love to dream about will never happen. FTL travel, for instance. The only way around the light-speed barrier that I can see is the wormhole approach, but the amount of negative energy required to sustain one exceeds that which is present in the universe. The 'warp drive' approach which I saw something about would appear to be a make-work project for NASA personnel who have nothing to do. They seem to be looking at creating a bubble of space around a ship, in relation to which the ship remains stationary, and there is nothing that theoretically prevents one piece of space from exceeding light speed in another piece of space. (I'm not holding my breath over that.)
The other thing to consider is that any ET life will probably be so drastically different from ours that we either won't recognize it, will try to exterminate it, or will be unable to communicate with it. Look at the difference between a human and those lichen-things that live on seabed volcanic vents, and consider that they share most of our genes. An ET would share none, if it even has DNA to begin with.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
like maybe 72% of my right large toe
Is that the top one? You are referring to your digging foot, right?

Mental Gridlock; very cool post, man. You have a great approach to life.

Dr.Brain said:
I was wondering if in future , like in 2800 or 3000 , we get enough information about life on some other planets, and we get to contact and interact till 3500 and then we setup our bases on other planets till 4000..., then we start traveling light years pretty easily till 6000 , we form communities with people on other planet till 7000 ...

As a science student, I was thinking about the research on Universe life, extraterrestial , black holes, worm holes, dark energy , solar energy and other unsolved mysteries...and wondering ...they all might be solved within 7,000 years as I mentioned above...I feel so much pity on myself that I am a mere man who might die till 2060 ...I will die wondering human beings haven't done anything...And will never probably see what really happened after my death...the adventure that remains in front of me...the knowledge that waits us...poor me..

Don't worry,your situation isn't so bad.just think about people who die coz of sickness and the cure to their sickness will discover after their death! :cry:

Anyway,there's 1 thing if scientist discover it,you won't have these conserns anymore. :bugeye: am I right?

Lisa! said:
Anyway,there's 1 thing if scientist discover it,you won't have these conserns anymore. :bugeye: am I right?
Elucidate, please. :confused:

I remember watching a movie. I think it was 'Red Planet.' There was one point were the philosopher guy says that if the Earth were to be destroyed then the human race would have meant nothing. This upset me because I don't think it is true. If I believed that then I would have no reason to live. I believe that life means something now. The universe will continue just fine with or without humanity. It doesn't owe us anything. We should make the best of what time we live in with respect for those that came before us and those that will come after. If seeing the universe revealed is what motivates you then why wait until the year 7000 for it? Do your part in your own life so that others can benefit sooner. And on the same note, don't take for granted the knowledge and technology that we have now.

Sorry, not upset at you. Just that line in that movie really upset me because it totally negates everything that comes before or after the present.

Danger said:
Elucidate, please. :confused:
1.the way of staying alive forever! :yuck:
2.If we want to be realist,first one isn't possible but:
Why do we never feel so sad that we can't fly exactly like birds?
That's easy coz no human could do.So usually we wants things when others could have but we can't.

Okey,so scientists should prevent borning human.So no human will be alive to see such a improvement in knowledge.

considering the progress was really exponential in past 50 years as compared to past 500 years, you will see results in your life time - probably not the ones where you can walk on distant galaxies' planets, but certainly ones where we get to map out every planet in our solar system, as well as many advances in biology and materials science, which will subsequently enable advances in electrical, mechanical, and nuclear engineering

Last edited:
Lisa! said:
Okey,so scientists should prevent borning human.
You have an intriguing approach to the language. :tongue:
Sorry about misunderstanding the first post; I thought that you were on a different topic with the 2nd paragraph. We'll never be able to live forever, because the universe can't last forever. It'll either re-collapse, or simply run out of energy and go cold. I'll be satisfied with a few thousand years. (I'll probably need false teeth or something by then anyhow.)

Danger said:
You have an intriguing approach to the language. :tongue:
Why do you think so? :confused:
Danger said:
Sorry about misunderstanding the first post; I thought that you were on a different topic with the 2nd paragraph.
Believet it or not,most of people included my parents and close friends still misunderstand what I say. :wink:

Danger said:
We'll never be able to live forever, because the universe can't last forever. It'll either re-collapse, or simply run out of energy and go cold. I'll be satisfied with a few thousand years. (I'll probably need false teeth or something by then anyhow.)
Well,can I give you some years of my life?(shh,my mother and granmother are around me and if they hear what I said they want to talk to me whole the day about not to leave them so soon. :cry: )

Chin up old boy, stiff upper lip, tomorrows another day, things could be worse,
dont exacerbate the situation, blast it I am going for a drink.

Science progresses one death at a time - Niels Bohr

^^^^^
I think that gives us a little inspiration!

You guys think that:is it possible to view a black hole?
I heard that everything near them will be divided to its elementary particles.

Hi Lisa.
You would be able to see the, "event horizon". not the hole, Things will
stay intact until they are drawn into the hole.

wolram said:
Hi Lisa.
You would be able to see the, "event horizon". not the hole, Things will
stay intact until they are drawn into the hole.
Thanx.I'm really happy that you're here. :smile:
Maybe human could see the hole 1 day,let's be hopeful.

Lisa! said:

http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/hawk.html

Not exactly seeing, but hey, it is electromagnetic radiation. :wink:

Lisa! said:
Why do you think so? :confused:

Believet it or not,most of people included my parents and close friends still misunderstand what I say. :wink:
You've never mentioned where you live. If English is not your native language, you're doing very well with it (better, in fact, than some people here for whom it is.) Unless you grew up with a different one than your parents, I can't explain that part.

Lisa! said:
Well,can I give you some years of my life?
Once I find out how old you are, and where you are, I might consider sharing a few of them. :tongue2:

wolram said:
Chin up old boy, stiff upper lip, tomorrows another day, things could be worse,
dont exacerbate the situation, blast it I am going for a drink.
One of the best philosophies I've heard in a long time. :biggrin:

Lisa! said:
Thanx.I'm really happy that you're here. :smile:
Maybe human could see the hole 1 day,let's be hopeful.
Don't get too comfortable about it. Being pulled into a black hole isn't the most immediate peril. To start with, there are ferocious X-ray emissions from the infalling matter being compressed. Secondly, the tidal forces would stretch you longitudinally and compress you laterally as if you were being shoved down a funnel several sizes too small. It would be best to observe from a distance, but all that you would see would be the effects of the hole, not the hole itself.

Thanx curious3141.
Danger said:
If English is not your native language, you're doing very well with it (better, in fact, than some people here for whom it is.)

For sure,you're kidding! :wink:

you grew up with a different one than your parents, I can't explain that part.
No,this isn't the problem.Somehow,it is difficult to explain to you.I tend to speak very briefly about everything.and because I make jokes about the current situation,they can't understand me.(luckily,in every case 1 of them understand me and explain it to others)

how old you are
I was born in 1982.and I just want to live for 29 years.(enough years left for you or not?)

where you are
For sure,you don't expect me to reveal my place to a danger,do you?!. :uhh: (how about standing beside a black hole :approve: )

Don't get too comfortable about it. Being pulled into a black hole isn't the most immediate peril. To start with, there are ferocious X-ray emissions from the infalling matter being compressed. Secondly, the tidal forces would stretch you longitudinally and compress you laterally as if you were being shoved down a funnel several sizes too small. It would be best to observe from a distance, but all that you would see would be the effects of the hole, not the hole itself.
It seems to be more wonderful than I expected.now I'm both happy and excited. :tongue2:

Lisa

look up in the sky on a cloudless night and imagine being able to explore
the heavens, maybe no one ever will but it is nice to dream, 29 years is
not nearly enough time to sate anyones curiosity about our universe, there
are so many things going on now or the next few years that will reveal so
much, i hope.
i imagine I am in a spaceship touring the universe, navigating around red giant
stars, white dwarfs, black holes the list goes on, i could never live long
enough to accomplish my dreams.

live long and prosper.

1. What do we mean by "unlocking the mysteries of the universe"?

Unlocking the mysteries of the universe refers to understanding and explaining the fundamental laws and workings of the universe, including the origins of the universe, the nature of dark matter and dark energy, and the possibility of other dimensions and parallel universes.

2. Is it possible to unlock all the mysteries of the universe in our lifetime?

It is unlikely that we will be able to unlock all the mysteries of the universe in our lifetime. The universe is incredibly vast and complex, and there are still many unanswered questions that may take centuries or even millennia to fully understand.

3. What are some current theories and advancements in unlocking the mysteries of the universe?

Some current theories and advancements in this field include the development of new technologies such as the Large Hadron Collider and space telescopes, the study of gravitational waves, and the exploration of dark matter and dark energy. There are also ongoing efforts to understand the origins of the universe through cosmological models and simulations.

4. How can unlocking the mysteries of the universe benefit us?

Unlocking the mysteries of the universe can lead to a deeper understanding of our place in the universe and the laws that govern it. It can also have practical applications, such as improving technology and advancing our understanding of physics and astronomy. Additionally, it can satisfy our innate curiosity and drive for knowledge.

5. What challenges and limitations do scientists face in unlocking the mysteries of the universe?

One major challenge is the sheer vastness and complexity of the universe, making it difficult to observe and understand certain phenomena. Another limitation is the technology and resources available, as well as the limitations of human understanding and perception. It is also important to consider ethical and moral implications as we continue to push the boundaries of scientific knowledge.