Find Resources for Modeling Generic CEV Re-Entry

In summary: There are a few places you could start looking. You could try searching online for databases of physical properties for different objects, or you could contact a physics or aerospace laboratory and ask if they have any databases or research papers on specific physical properties.
schemp98
Hello,

I need to model a generic CEV re-entry, and was wondering if anyone could guide me towards a resource for mass properties (drag coefficients, mass, inertias, initial velocity, etc). Thank You

Shaun

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ugh. I hate to say it, but that is not a trivial thing to do.

I was doing a design project my senior year, and we 'broke' two different FEM programs trying to model it (fluent and femlab). Neither were designed to handle hypersonic flows. We ended up waving our hands and saying "we're going to assume that it works" based on the expertise of our advisor and shapes of the Apollo and Gemini reentry vehicles.

It was a long time ago, so I'm going from memory with this info:

You start getting significant atmospheric drag around 50km. We were told that you'd want to have a reentry angle of between 2 and 4 degrees from circular. One of the guys in my team did the orbital dynamics to determine what sort of burn we needed using a one sided hohmann transfer and calculated our entry velocity at that point. We pulled atmospheric densities off of a NASA site and curvefitted it. We were originally going to try to do an ODE simulation using MATLAB before we gave up to focus on other sections of the design (only so much you can do for a one semester course with a 8-person team).

schemp98 said:
Hello,
I need to model a generic CEV re-entry, and was wondering if anyone could guide me towards a resource for mass properties (drag coefficients, mass, inertias, initial velocity, etc). Thank You
Shaun

I would say it is pretty impossible to obtain accurate data if you want to compute it numerically. Ok, maybe you are able to simplify the reentry and watch your CEV as a point falling on Earth if the only thing in which you are interested is on the large scale kinematics of the vehicle. A numeric flow simulation is out of scope if you are not using a supercomputer. Take into account that the Reynolds# as such altitudes may be of the order of 10 millions. Personally, I made a numerical simulation of the reentry flow of a CEV sometime ago (Enigma knows about my simulation), with M=4.52 and Re=1250, which is pretty unrealistic.

Thanks for your replies, I think I should have elaborated on my situation...

Right now, I just need to create a simple model of a CEV falling straight down (with some neglible horizontal velocity)

I already have a 'skeleton' of a model up and running. Basically, I just need to find physical characteristics such as weight, surface area w/ and w/o parachutes open, and forces of the thruster (approximations are fine).

Any ideas on where I could easily find this stuff? Thanks

Shaun

1. What is a CEV Re-Entry?

A CEV (Crew Exploration Vehicle) Re-Entry is the process of a spacecraft returning to Earth's atmosphere after completing its mission in space.

2. Why is it important to model Generic CEV Re-Entry?

Modeling Generic CEV Re-Entry allows scientists to simulate and predict the behavior and trajectory of the spacecraft during the re-entry process. This information is crucial for ensuring the safety of astronauts and the success of the mission.

3. What resources are needed for modeling Generic CEV Re-Entry?

To model Generic CEV Re-Entry, scientists need access to data on the spacecraft's design and specifications, atmospheric conditions, and mathematical models for simulating the re-entry process.

4. How accurate are the models for Generic CEV Re-Entry?

The accuracy of the models for Generic CEV Re-Entry depends on the quality and availability of data and the complexity of the mathematical models used. However, with advancements in technology and data collection, these models are becoming more precise and reliable.

5. What are the potential risks of Generic CEV Re-Entry?

The main risks of Generic CEV Re-Entry include the heat and pressure of re-entering the Earth's atmosphere, structural damage to the spacecraft, and the possibility of the spacecraft deviating from its intended trajectory. These risks can be mitigated through accurate modeling and careful planning of the re-entry process.