Please help with DECELERATION problem

In summary, for finding the braking distance for each train in this problem, you can use the equation x = x0 + v0t + (1/2)at2, with a deceleration of 1.0 m/s2 and initial velocities of 72 km/h and 133 km/h for the two trains. When the trains are 860 m apart, the engineers apply the brakes and the question does not specify a time, so you can use the equation vf^2=vi^2+2ad to solve for the braking distance. Another question involves a drowsy cat observing a flowerpot falling past an open window for a total of 0.35 s, with a window height of 2.
somnium
With motion problems, what formula do i use for deceleration of a particle if I am given v and a, and need to find distance?

Physics news on Phys.org
For constant acceleration:
x = x0 + v0t + (1/2)at2

So, to find braking distance for each train in this problem:

Two trains, one traveling at 72 km/h and the other at 133 km/h, are headed toward one another along a straight, level track. When they are 860 m apart, each engineer sees the other's train and applies the brakes. The brakes decelerate each train at the rate of 1.0 m/s2.

would I use negative acceleration?

and what do i do about the fact that time isn't specified in the question?

http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSCI/PHYS/Class/1DKin/U1L6a.html

look on the equations on this page...find any that might work?

Last edited by a moderator:
vf^2=vi^2+2ad

you are awesome

I have another question: How do I go about this one:

A drowsy cat spots a flowerpot that sails first up and then down past an open window. The pot was in view for a total of 0.35 s, and the top-to-bottom height of the window is 2.10 m. How high above the window top did the flowerpot go?

I tried v=-gT+Vo and y=-.5gT^2+VoT
but I think I'm missing something in the way the question is phrased.
It gives total time, but no other numbers to plug in...

What is deceleration?

Deceleration is the measure of how quickly an object slows down its motion. It is the opposite of acceleration, which measures how quickly an object speeds up.

What causes deceleration?

Deceleration can be caused by various factors such as friction, air resistance, and the application of brakes or a force in the opposite direction of motion. It can also occur naturally when an object's initial velocity decreases due to gravity or other external forces.

How is deceleration calculated?

To calculate deceleration, you need to know the initial velocity (speed) of the object, the final velocity, and the time it takes for the object to slow down. The formula for deceleration is (final velocity - initial velocity) / time. The unit of measurement for deceleration is meters per second squared (m/s²).

How does deceleration affect an object's motion?

Deceleration causes an object to slow down and eventually come to a stop. The greater the deceleration, the faster the object will slow down. If deceleration is constant, the object's velocity will decrease at a steady rate, leading to a linear decrease in its displacement over time.

How can deceleration be controlled or reduced?

Deceleration can be controlled or reduced by reducing the factors that cause it, such as reducing friction or air resistance. It can also be controlled by applying a force in the opposite direction of motion, such as using brakes on a moving vehicle. Additionally, using methods such as aerodynamic shaping or regenerative braking can help reduce deceleration in certain situations.