Transfer function of RC-filter

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of RC-filters and the calculation of transfer functions using the impedance model. It also mentions the coupling of two RC-filters and the resulting transfer function, with a question about whether there is a faster way to calculate it. The suggestion of using the node voltage method is also mentioned.
Galileo
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Suppose you have two RC-filters as shown below. Ignore the #'s, they are for spacing purposes.

o---R1--------o
# # # # # | #
Ui(1) # # C1 # Uo(1)
# # # # # | #
o--------------o

o---R2--------o
# # # # # | #
Ui(2) # # C2 # Uo(2)
# # # # # | #
o--------------o

Calculating the transfer functions [itex]H_1(\omega), H_2(\omega)[/itex] ([itex]H(\omega)=u_o/u_i[/itex]) using the impedance model is simple.
But what if you couple the two? By coupling the output Uo(1) of the first at the input Ui(2) of the second. Is there an easy way to calculate the resulting transfer function? It's not just the product of the two and my calculation is big and ugly. I know there is a trick or method to do it easily, by using some sort of substitution or something? Can anyone enlighten me?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
i'm assuming that your new output is the connected nodes Uo1 and Uo2. in that case i would use the node voltage method for finding the transfer function. concerning a faster way i don't know if there is one.

oh wow i just noticed you post is two years old! haha. you've probably figured it out already.

What is a transfer function of an RC-filter?

A transfer function of an RC-filter is a mathematical representation that describes the relationship between the input and output signals of the filter. It is expressed as a ratio of the output signal to the input signal and is used to analyze the frequency response of the filter.

What is the formula for calculating the transfer function of an RC-filter?

The transfer function of an RC-filter can be calculated using the formula H(s) = 1 / (1 + RCs), where H(s) is the transfer function, R is the resistance of the resistor, C is the capacitance of the capacitor, and s is the complex frequency variable.

How does the transfer function of an RC-filter affect the frequency response?

The transfer function of an RC-filter determines the frequency response of the filter. It shows how the filter attenuates or amplifies different frequencies in the input signal. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior of the filter and its effectiveness in filtering out specific frequencies.

What is the significance of the time constant in the transfer function of an RC-filter?

The time constant, represented by the product RC in the transfer function, is a measure of how quickly the output of the filter responds to a change in the input signal. A smaller time constant results in a faster response, while a larger time constant results in a slower response.

How can I use the transfer function of an RC-filter in practical applications?

The transfer function of an RC-filter is used in various applications, such as signal processing, audio and video equipment, and communication systems. It helps in designing and analyzing filters to achieve specific frequency responses, such as low-pass, high-pass, and band-pass filters.