Calculating the Laurent Series of $\frac{1}{e^z-1}$

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the Laurent series of \frac{1}{e^z-1} for 0 < |z| < 2\pi. The initial idea is to use the expansion of e^z and find the expansion about zero, but it is then mentioned that the series should converge to an algebraic expression. The conversation ends with uncertainty on how to proceed with finding the series.
Warr
Just wondering where to go with this one..

calculate the laurent series of [tex]\frac{1}{e^z-1}[/tex]

don't even know where to start on it

I know [tex]e^z={{\sum^{\infty}}_{j=0}}\frac{z^j}{j!}[/tex]

but not much else...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing you need to do is figure out where you're taking the Laurent expansion about (presumably zero since that is what your expression for e^z is. Why not put that into the expression and play around with it?

Well, I only assumed that I knew that the expansion of e^z was about 0. It only specifies "calculate the laurent expansion of [tex]\frac{1}{e^z-1}[/tex] for [tex]0 < |z| < 2\pi[/tex]"

Last edited:
I tried that but couldn't really come up with anything..

[tex]\frac{1}{e^z-1}=\frac{1}{(1+z+\frac{z^2}{2!}+\frac{z^3}{3!}+...)-1}=\frac{1}{z+\frac{z^2}{2!}+\frac{z^3}{3!}+...}=\frac{1}{z(1+\frac{z}{2!}+\frac{z^2}{3!}+...)}[/tex]

no idea where to go with this..

I can't see how I could turn the series into a useful series that converges to a algebraic expresion that I could actually rearrange to continue...

Last edited:

1. How do you find the Laurent series of $\frac{1}{e^z-1}$?

To find the Laurent series of $\frac{1}{e^z-1}$, we first need to determine the singularities of the function. In this case, the only singularity is at $z=0$. Then, we can use the formula for the Laurent series: $\frac{1}{e^z-1}=\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty a_nz^n$, where $a_n=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\oint_C \frac{f(z)}{(z-z_0)^{n+1}}dz$, and $C$ is a positively oriented contour around $z_0=0$.

2. What is the difference between the Laurent series and a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is used to approximate a function around a specific point, while a Laurent series is used to represent a function in a region where it is not analytic, such as at a singularity. A Taylor series only includes non-negative powers of $z$, while a Laurent series includes both positive and negative powers.

3. Can the Laurent series of $\frac{1}{e^z-1}$ be used to evaluate the function for any value of $z$?

No, the Laurent series of $\frac{1}{e^z-1}$ is only valid in the region where the function is not analytic, which is at $z=0$. Outside of this region, the series will not converge and cannot be used to evaluate the function.

4. How many terms should be included in the Laurent series of $\frac{1}{e^z-1}$ to get a good approximation?

The number of terms needed in a Laurent series to get a good approximation depends on the desired level of accuracy and the distance from the singularity. Generally, the more terms included, the better the approximation will be.

5. Can the Laurent series of $\frac{1}{e^z-1}$ be used to evaluate integrals involving the function?

Yes, the Laurent series of $\frac{1}{e^z-1}$ can be used to evaluate integrals involving the function. This is because the Laurent series is a representation of the function itself, and can be used to calculate its values at any point within its region of convergence, including within an integral.