Is This Normal Behavior? Understanding the Fine Line Between Joking and Bullying

• Thread starter heman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Normal
In summary, this person had a unique experience yesterday and then received a call from a friend who abuses vulgarly and threatens the person on the phone. After 20 minutes of listening, the person decides it is not a friend and hangs up. Today, the person meets the friend and a physical fight breaks out. The person is older and bigger than the friend and does not care if he is beaten, but they manage to give him some blows. After 2 hours, the friend sends a SMS apologizing and asking to remain friends, but the person has not replied. If the person had no mistake, they would not get into a physical fight with
Moonbear said:
You're kidding, right? If not, I hope never to visit where you live if it's that violent!

Hey, i ain't no fighter, I'm a lover

Professional life? Yeah, right,

Ok, i admit that was a bad example.

If you run into 4 thugs on the street with no other goal than to pulverize you, it's not wimpy to get the heck out of there; it's the smart thing to do.

Well, here i don't agree. I prefer to let them know who they are dealing with.

Standing your ground doesn't mean much when you're lying in the ER with a bloody nose, missing teeth, and a few cracked ribs, or worse if they're carrying weapons.

That's the risk that is involved. The only thing you can do is make sure you can throw your fists when it is most needed.

Maturity is knowing when it's worth standing up for yourself and when it's best to just avoid the confrontation for your own self-preservation.

I agree.

Even if you "won" the fight, what honor is there to be gained from fighting with a bunch of thugs?

The fact that you have escaped a vissit to the hospital and the fact that you were not blown away by some losers that, for some reason, wanted to blow you away.

There's nothing honorable about that;
Neither is walking away like a sissy.
you've just stooped to their level.
Well, true but sometimes you need to do that so that they understand what is going on. I mean, isn't that what "teaching" is all about, hm ?

In is the same way you should act like this when you are dealing with people that are not willing to reason/listen/hear you out...

marlon

Physics news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:
Keep in mind, we're talking about physical fighting here. We're not talking about standing your ground in a dispute or argument that's non-violent. If you run into 4 thugs on the street with no other goal than to pulverize you, it's not wimpy to get the heck out of there; it's the smart thing to do. Standing your ground doesn't mean much when you're lying in the ER with a bloody nose, missing teeth, and a few cracked ribs, or worse if they're carrying weapons. Maturity is knowing when it's worth standing up for yourself and when it's best to just avoid the confrontation for your own self-preservation. Even if you "won" the fight, what honor is there to be gained from fighting with a bunch of thugs? There's nothing honorable about that; you've just stooped to their level.
This is why women need to be in charge of the world!

Moonbear for President of the US in 2008 - and Empress of the World!

Astronuc said:
To bad he did not think of this before hand. I would recommend saving the email as evidence of his behavior - should the matter come up later.

Perhaps one can accept the apology, but let it be known that such behavior in future is not acceptable.

Thats nice thing to do..for such people..

if he repeats such thing in Future ,what should be done then?/

heman said:
Thats nice thing to do..for such people..

if he repeats such thing in Future ,what should be done then?/
Well, one has to decide if one wishes to continue the friendship. Perhaps this friend is truly sorry and repentant.

At this point, maintain the dialogue and see what happens. Hopefully, there will be no repeat of the hostile behavior.

It is appropriate to make one's disappointment known and indicate that there should be no such behavior in the future.

Astronuc said:
This is why women need to be in charge of the world!
:biggrin:

Yeah, i have heard some other people say the exact same thing. That and the fact that I would be a BAD politician. I really wonder why that is:uhh:

marlon

Anyone who appreciates Mozart can't be all that bad. :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
Anyone who appreciates Mozart can't be all that bad. :biggrin:
:wink: :biggrin: Again a very diplomatic answer.

marlon

Astronuc said:
Moonbear for President of the US in 2008 - and Empress of the World!

who knows...may be she is the one born to guide..

And Marlon,
Moonbear can bite too!:biggrin: