Can the Coefficient of Expansion Be Expressed in Both Kelvin and Celsius?

I am sorryIn summary, the coefficient of expansion for mercury is the same in both Kelvin and Celsius units. The temperatures given in the assignment can be in either units and do not need to be converted as one degree Kelvin is the same magnitude as one degree Celsius. This is because both scales use the same divisions but have different starting points for zero. Therefore, there is a 1:1 relationship between the two units.
flower76
I just have a quick question. In my assignment the coefficient of expansion for mercury is listed in K, and the temperatures given are listed in degress C.

Online I've seen the exact same coefficient of expansion (1.8 x 10-4) but in Celsius.

Can the coefficient be in either units, and therefore do I need to change the units of my temperature to get the correct answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
No you don't need to convert between the two, one degree kelvin is of the same magnitude as one degree celcius. In otherwords if the temperature is increased by 1 degree celcius it is also increased by one degree kelvin.

~H

thanks that makes sense

Kelvin and celsius a scales use the same divisions but different zero starting points thus the coefficient of expansion is exactly the same in either units as there is a 1:1 relationship.

Edit: Too late

What is the coefficient of expansion?

The coefficient of expansion, also known as the thermal expansion coefficient, is a measure of how much a material expands or contracts in response to changes in temperature. It is a dimensionless quantity that is specific to each material.

How is the coefficient of expansion calculated?

The coefficient of expansion is calculated by measuring the change in length, volume, or other physical dimension of a material as it is heated or cooled and dividing it by the original dimension and the change in temperature.

Why is the coefficient of expansion important?

The coefficient of expansion is important because it helps engineers and scientists predict how materials will behave when subjected to temperature changes. This is crucial for designing structures and devices that can withstand temperature variations without breaking or malfunctioning.

What factors affect the coefficient of expansion?

The coefficient of expansion is affected by the molecular structure and composition of a material. Generally, materials with stronger bonds between molecules have lower coefficients of expansion, while those with weaker bonds have higher coefficients.

How is the coefficient of expansion used in real-world applications?

The coefficient of expansion is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in the design of bridges, buildings, and pipelines. It is also important in the production of electronic devices, as it helps prevent damage from thermal expansion and contraction. Additionally, the coefficient of expansion is used in the production of glass and ceramics to ensure that they can withstand changes in temperature without cracking or breaking.