How to Find the Area Bounded by a Hypocycloid Equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area of a hypocycloid, with one person providing a parametric representation of the curve and the other attempting to solve the integral to find the area. The correct parametric representation is later corrected and the use of trigonometric identities is suggested to solve the integral.
Reshma
Equation of a hypocycloid is:
[tex]x^{3/2} + y^{3/2} = a^{3/2}[/tex].
Find the area of the figure bounded by this hypocycloid.

My work:
I can use the plane polar coordinates here taking [itex]x = a\cos t[/itex] & [itex]y = a\sin t[/itex] with [itex]t = [0, 2\pi][/itex]. But I don't know how to obtain the surface integral for evaluating the area ( :yuck: :blushing:) . Someone help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, you've not used plane polar coordinates. When you say [itex]x = a\cos t[/itex] & [itex]y = a\sin t[/itex], you have just given a parametric representation of any point (x,y) lying on the curve.

When you integrate to find the area, your domain of integration is going to include points lying inside the curve also. So, you need to use the polar coordinates [itex] x= r \cos \theta[/itex] and [itex] y=r \sin \theta[/itex].

Now, your integral will be
[tex] \int \int dx dy [/tex]
Convert this integral to polar coordinates. Can you take it from here?

Last edited:
First of all, you've not used plane polar coordinates. When you say [itex]x = a\cos t[/itex] & [itex]y = a\sin t[/itex], you have just given a parametric representation of any point (x,y) lying on the curve
Well in any case [itex]\int \int dx dy[/itex] the cannot be applied here since it completely ignores the equation of the given curve. The parametric representation of a hypocycloid will be:
[tex]x = a\cos^3 t , y = a\sin^3 t[/tex]
[tex]dx = -3a\cos^2 t\sin tdt, dy = 3a\sin^2 t\cos t dt[/tex]
So the formula representing the area of a curvilinear trapezoid bounded by a curve represented parametrically is:
[tex]Q = \int_0^{2\pi} ydx = \int_0^{2\pi} a\sin^3 t(-3a\cos^2 t\sin t)dt =-3a^2\int_0^{2\pi} \sin^4 t\cos^2 tdt[/tex]

Someone just help me crack this integral, I am not very far from the answer i.e. [itex]{3\over 8}\pi a^2[/itex].

Looks to me like a standard "even powers of trig functions". Use the identities: sin2x= (1/2)(1- cos(2x)) and cos2= (1/2)(1+ cos(2x)) to reduce the powers.

Reshma said:
Equation of a hypocycloid is:
[tex]x^{3/2} + y^{3/2} = a^{3/2}[/tex].
Reshma said:
The parametric representation of a hypocycloid will be:
[tex]x = a\cos^3 t , y = a\sin^3 t[/tex]

These do not agree (plug in with e.g. t = 2, a = 1 to verify). You want your x to be such that x^(3/2) = a^(3/2) * cos^2 t and your y to satisfy y^(3/2) = a^(3/2) * sin^2 t.

Or is your original equation correct? It would only be defined for values in the first quadrant.

Last edited:

1. What is a hypocycloid?

A hypocycloid is a geometric curve that is formed by tracing a point on a small circle as it rolls along the inside of a larger circle.

2. How is the area bounded by a hypocycloid calculated?

The formula for calculating the area bounded by a hypocycloid is A = (3 - π)r², where r is the radius of the small circle.

3. Can the area bounded by a hypocycloid be infinite?

No, the area bounded by a hypocycloid is a finite value. It may approach infinity as the radius of the small circle approaches zero, but it will never be infinite.

4. What are some real-life applications of hypocycloids?

Hypocycloids have been used in the design of gears, as well as in the field of optics for creating precise curves in lenses and mirrors. They have also been studied in mathematics as an interesting geometric shape.

5. Are there any variations of hypocycloids?

Yes, there are many different types of hypocycloids, such as epicycloids (formed by tracing a point on a larger circle as it rolls along the outside of a smaller circle) and hypotrochoids (formed by tracing a point on a circle as it rolls along the inside or outside of another circle).