Webpage title: How to Find the Area Bounded by Curves on a Given Interval

In summary, the problem asks for the area of the region bounded by the curves f(x) = x^2 + 2 and g(x) = 4 - x^2 on the interval [-2,2]. The student was unable to find the answer because it is ambiguous as to what is being asked.
noboost4you
This is the problem: find the area of the region bounded by the curves f(x) = x^2 + 2 and g(x) = 4 - x^2 on the interval [-2,2]

I did the whole integral from -2 to 2 with (4-x^2) - (x^2 + 2) dx because the graph of g(x) is on top between the region bounded. But from my drawing, the points where the curves meet and shaded in the area is between -1 and 1. What am I doing wrong?

My answer came to be -8/3 and area can't be negative. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a of an ambiguous question ... see my attached image. Check that question for typo's, just in case.

Attachments

• fg.gif
    fg.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 564
no typos here. he wrote this problem on the board today, maybe he has it wrong?? the question never says anything about the area under the curves, just the region bounded by the curves on the interval [-2,2]. maybe i need to draw imaginary vertical lines at -2 and 2 and include that area as well as under the curves?

i'm lost and it's only the 2nd day of class...oohh, i can't wait until the 3rd day

Don't worry. I'm sure if you pointed out the confusion, he'll tell what he meant.

So as it stands right now, that equation is impossible to answer? Correct?

I wouldn't say it was impossible, just ambiguous as to exactly what was being asked. Since the problem asks for "area bounded by the curves between -2 and 2, I would say it must be:

∫-2-1((x2+2)-(4-x2)dx+ ∫-11((4-x2)-(x2+2))dx+ ∫12((x2+2)-(4-x2))dx.

That is, reverse the subtraction on the two ends where the curves are reversed.

The area bounded by [tex]f(x)[/tex] and [tex]g(x)[/tex] where [tex]a \le x \le b[/tex] is given by

[tex]
\int_a^b \left|f(x)-g(x)\right|\mathrm{d}x
[/tex]

Consider the integral
[tex]
\int_{\pi}^{2\pi} \sin x \mathrm{d}x
[/tex]

The graph is below the x-axis, so the value will be negative. An area can't be negative, so you just take the absolute value of it.

Regards,
Nille

What I am guessing he wanted you to do is to include the two areas on each side of the curves...So include the area from -2 to -1 from -1 to 1 and from 1 to 2... Thats what I prob would do...So then you would have three separate integrals 2 of which should be the same area...and one different one in the middle..

Just my 2 cents...

Yes, the answer included 3 separate integrals. The final solution came to 8. Thanks to all who helped out. I really appreciate it.

No problemo my friend...I though it would include 3 separate integrals otherwise he wouldn't have given you intervals...If he didn't give u intervals then you would only have one integral from -1 to 1...But since he told you that you have interval from -2 to 2,then you would have to sketch the graph, see how it looks, and then come up with the fact that there is actually 3 separate areas which need to be added...

I am glad you solved your problem. :)

1. What is the area bounded by curves?

The area bounded by curves is the total space enclosed between two or more curves on a graph. It represents the region that is covered by the curves.

2. How do you calculate the area bounded by curves?

To calculate the area bounded by curves, you can use integration. The area can be determined by finding the definite integral of the function that represents the upper curve minus the definite integral of the function that represents the lower curve.

3. What are the different methods for finding the area bounded by curves?

There are two main methods for finding the area bounded by curves: analytical and graphical. Analytical methods use mathematical equations and integration, while graphical methods involve visualizing and approximating the area using geometric shapes.

4. What is the significance of finding the area bounded by curves?

Finding the area bounded by curves has many practical applications in science and engineering. It can be used to determine volumes, calculate work and energy, and solve optimization problems.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the area bounded by curves?

Yes, there are limitations to calculating the area bounded by curves. Integration can only be used for functions that have well-defined derivatives, and it may not be possible to find an exact solution for some curves. In these cases, numerical approximations can be used to estimate the area.