Original location of the Big Bang

• Thread starter Jack Bauer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Big bang
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of back-extrapolating the location of the original Big Bang by comparing expansion rates and directions at various points. However, it is stated that in the current model of cosmology, all points are equally considered the location of the beginning of expansion. The conversation also references a Scientific American article that addresses common misconceptions about the Big Bang, including the misconception that galaxies can recede faster than the speed of light. The article also explains how the expansion of space is not a viable means of transportation. Instead, it serves the purpose of cooling the light that is coming from all directions.
re."You need to look up "finite but unbounded" on the Internet"

The problem with the definitions of "finite but unbounded" is that they always rely on transference from 2D concepts through to 3D concepts. Example: a square has boundaries but a sphere does not...so the OU is a like a sphere and has no boundaries. That's garbage. There is no transference between dimensions. There isn't even any form of friction between dimensions. Spheres in the OU have boundaries because they are made of 'stuff'. Only spheres in mathematical models are boundry-less. Mathematical ants can crawl over a mathematical sphere for eternity and never find a boundary. But who cares? Real ants will find a boundary on a billiard ball very quickly. Again, there can be NO transference between dimensions in the OU. Only in math models. At least to my mind.

Space news on Phys.org
"Well, physics doesn't much care what you or I think. Current comosmological theory describes the big bang AFTER t=0, and does not require God"

Doesn't AFTER t=0 presuppose a t=0? I should think that the physics of the Big Bang would be very interested in t=0 and what kind of magic/god is connected to t=0 to create a Big Bang from pure vacuum.

Don't get me wrong. I love the idea of making Physics models to attempt to predict. I just think that Physics is barking up the wrong tree with the Big Bang. An infinitely sized OU that has existed forever makes more sense to this layman.

raynicolle said:
Doesn't AFTER t=0 presuppose a t=0?
That choice of words certainly suggests it, but it's just a poor choice of words. The original big bang theory is the statement that the large-scale behavior of the universe is described roughly by a FLRW solution of Einstein's equation. (That's the class of solutions that describes universes that are homogenous and isotropic). There's a standard way to assign coordinates to events in FLRW spacetimes, This assignment is such that the time coordinate of every event is positive. So there's no t=0 in the theory. The "big bang" is just a name for the limit t→0.

raynicolle said:
I should think that the physics of the Big Bang would be very interested in t=0 and what kind of magic/god is connected to t=0 to create a Big Bang from pure vacuum.
It's a mistake to think that there must have been a t=0. Yes, intuition tells us that there should be a t=0, but experiments have proved that our intuition about other properties of space and time are wrong, and they have failed to prove general relativity wrong. So it would be very naive to believe that human intuition is more reliable than the most accurate theory in science.

(Quantum mechanics might be more accurate, but we haven't figured out what it says about gravity yet).

There is no theory that says that something was created from nothing at t=0. Creationists are lying to you about that.

General relativity is a theory of space, time, and motion, that makes incredibly accurate predictions about a huge range of experiments. It's built up around an equation that describes the relationship between how matter is distributed and how it moves. All of the solutions that describe the large-scale distribution and motion of matter in a way that doesn't contradict what we see through telescopes have this property that we call "the big bang". The original big bang theory is just the claim that the large-scale behavior of the universe is described by one of those solutions.

Neither general relativity or its offspring "the big bang theory" is about creation.

raynicolle said:
I just think that Physics is barking up the wrong tree with the Big Bang. An infinitely sized OU that has existed forever makes more sense to this layman.
There wouldn't be any material left for nuclear fusion. So there wouldn't be any stars, at least not stars that still shine. Your hypothesis is also inconsistent with the redshift of distant galaxies. And it fails to predict the existence of background radiation. Those are just the first things I can think of. I'm sure the list can be made must longer.

The "big bang" is just a name for the limit t→0.

Yes, that is what I was attempting to say, and I believe I did imply it at least, but you have explained it much better. Thanks.

phinds said:
Cosmo, I don't understand why you are interpreting what I said as having been directed at your post since I specificall quoted a different poster ... the same one you commented about.

My apologies I am totally blind :)

I have an elementary understanding that the bang was an exspansion of space not an explosion of particles in space. This still does not help me understand why there cannot be a physical center to the universe. If the space is expanding at an increasing rate on all three axis; the X,Y and Z, in both the positive and negative directions on each. Then even if the partilces are not what is expanding there should still be a method for finding the center of the space. If there are methods to measure the exspansion rate of space which is ever increasing on all planes, why can this not be reversed at a corisponding level of decent to find the reletive center or origin?

The expansion is even throughout. At every non gravational bound point the expansion rate is the same. So their is no way to distinquish a preferred direction of expansion.

Also their is no edge of spacetime. Regardless of if the universe is finite or infinite. You can never find an edge. So you cannot simply divide the diameter to find a center. Indeed

in both cases their need not be a center.
Look at the balloon analogy
sticky thread above for descriptions of how that works

The accurate way to think about it is Every point in spacetime is expanding in every direction. Point being any size you desire.

Last edited:
WHATNOW said:
I have an elementary understanding that the bang was an exspansion of space not an explosion of particles in space. This still does not help me understand why there cannot be a physical center to the universe. If the space is expanding at an increasing rate on all three axis; the X,Y and Z, in both the positive and negative directions on each. Then even if the partilces are not what is expanding there should still be a method for finding the center of the space. If there are methods to measure the exspansion rate of space which is ever increasing on all planes, why can this not be reversed at a corisponding level of decent to find the reletive center or origin?
The thing you should try to understand isn't why there can't be a center, but why there doesn't have to be a center.

Imagine the pattern below extended to infinity in all directions. Now suppose that it's expanding at a constant rate, an increasing rate, or whatever rate you want it to. An observer that's comoving with any intersection of two lines could consider that point to be the center.

rutat.png