Grammar (ref index/indexes/indices) and appendix quesrtion

• Thread starter blackcat
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the proper way to refer to refractive indices of multiple liquids and the use of appendices in writing. It is recommended to use "refractive indices" and to have separate appendices for different types of information. The use of "indices" is preferred over "indexes" and it is noted that the plural use of "indices" is called plural quantification.
blackcat
hi,

1) when i have more than 1 liquid, do i say "I'm going to measure the refractive index of these liquids. These liquids' refractive indexes..." or "..refractive indexes.." or "refractive indices of these liquids"?

2)

If i have to write an appendix, is it standard to do for example, appendix 1 for a list of URLS, appendix 2 for table of results and 3 for graphs or something?

or is it just 1 appendix?

Physics news on Phys.org
Some say "they aren't using their brains" and some say "they aren't using their brain". But one could say "they have brains but aren't using them" but could probably not say "they have a brain but aren't using it", although one could say "they each have a brain but aren't using it". I think this other use is a case where the word 'each' has been dropped, but it is probably incorrect.

So I think it would either be "... the refractive index of each liquid" or "... the refractive indexes/indices of the liquids". I think this second use is called 'plural quantification', but I couldn't tell you more about it.

Last edited:
I'd say go with multiple appendices. Appendix 1, Appendix 2, etc. Separate appendices would be clearer for the reader.

I'd also say go with the "refractive indices of the liquids are measured in this experiment" or "The refractive index of each liquid is shown in Table Z" I think "indices" is the best for plural use. I've never heard of using "indexes"... but it could be because I'm a dumb American, maybe the English think differently. :uhh:

blackcat said:
hi,

1) when i have more than 1 liquid, do i say "I'm going to measure the refractive index of these liquids. These liquids' refractive indexes..." or "..refractive indexes.." or "refractive indices of these liquids"?
"...these liquids' refractive indices..." is correct, and so is "...the refractive indices of these liquids.".

THANK YOU

I'll stick with refractive indicies!

1. What is the difference between "index", "indexes", and "indices"?

The word "index" is singular and refers to a list of terms or topics with corresponding page numbers. "Indexes" is the plural form, used when there are multiple lists of terms or topics. "Indices" is also plural, but it is typically used in the context of mathematics or statistics.

2. How do I create an index for my document?

To create an index, first compile a list of key terms or topics from your document. Then, decide which page numbers each term or topic should be associated with. Finally, format the list in alphabetical order and place it at the end of your document.

3. Can I have multiple indexes in one document?

Yes, you can have multiple indexes in one document. This is useful if your document covers a wide range of topics and you want to make it easier for readers to find specific information.

4. What is an appendix and when should I use one?

An appendix is a section at the end of a document that includes supplementary or supporting material. This can include charts, graphs, images, or additional information that is relevant to the main content but not essential. Appendices are typically used to avoid cluttering the main body of the document.

5. How do I format an appendix in my document?

To format an appendix, first decide on a title for the section. This can be "Appendix", "Appendices", or a specific title related to the content. Then, insert the material and label each item with a letter or number (e.g. "Appendix A", "Appendix B"). Finally, make sure the appendix is clearly referenced within the main body of your document.