What Would Happen if the Earth Was Flat and There Was No Gravity?

In summary: No, it wouldn't. I think the thread would have been deleted or at the very least, the conversation would have been moved to a more appropriate forum. No, it wouldn't. I think the thread would have been deleted or at the very least, the conversation would have been moved to a more appropriate forum.
samtheham
If the Earth was flat, and there were no such thing as gravity, and it, along with all the celestial bodies, accelerated upwards (so, parallel to normal) at 1g(9.8m/s^2), what would happen if I dropped a pen while I am on earth?

Physics news on Phys.org
The pen would maintain it's current speed.

gravity

So, it'd still seem that gravity existed, right?

no,the pen wouldn't accelerate therefore,it wudnt seem as if gravity existed

For a casual observer who is accellerating with this flat earth, the pen would appear to be accellerating down.
But that is because the observer is accustomed to being accelerated upwards by the Earth under his feet, not because the pen actually is going down.

You could actually do an experiment and determine that you were accelerating and the pen was the "inertial frame". However, I would have to ask the question: why would you ask this question? It almost seems like something the Flat Earth Society would do to try and get a bunch of "physicists" to support their views.

I have the same suspicion as StatMechGuy.

Zz.

So harsh guys! This is the legitimate basis of general relativity. It would be very difficult to distinguish this kind of acceleration from "gravity" (you'd need to compare measurements from separated places, much as were used the first time to show we don't live in a discworld).

cesiumfrog said:
So harsh guys! This is the legitimate basis of general relativity. It would be very difficult to distinguish this kind of acceleration from "gravity" (you'd need to compare measurements from separated places, much as were used the first time to show we don't live in a discworld).

Yeah, but one doesn't need to do that on a "flat" earth! An ordinary Earth that we have right now is pretty sufficient, don't you think?

Furthermore, I don't think we were being "harsh". All I said was I had a "suspicion". It wasn't an accusation. If I think truly believe this is nothing more than a flat-earth advocacy, do you think this thread would have survived till now?

Zz.

1. What is "just hypothetical thinking"?

"Just hypothetical thinking" is the process of considering and exploring ideas or scenarios that are not based on current facts or reality. It involves using one's imagination and creativity to come up with potential outcomes or solutions to a problem.

2. Why is "just hypothetical thinking" important in science?

Hypothetical thinking allows scientists to generate new ideas and hypotheses, which can then be tested through experiments and observations. It encourages critical thinking and can lead to breakthrough discoveries and innovations.

3. How is "just hypothetical thinking" different from other types of thinking?

"Just hypothetical thinking" differs from other types of thinking, such as logical or analytical thinking, because it does not rely on existing data or evidence. It involves using creative and abstract thought processes to explore possibilities and potential outcomes.

4. Can anyone use "just hypothetical thinking"?

Yes, anyone can use "just hypothetical thinking" as it is a natural part of human cognition. However, it is especially important for scientists and researchers to use this type of thinking in their work to push the boundaries of knowledge and understanding.

5. What are some examples of "just hypothetical thinking" in science?

Some examples of "just hypothetical thinking" in science include proposing new theories or explanations for natural phenomena, brainstorming potential solutions to a problem, and imagining the consequences of a certain action or event. It is also commonly used in the development of new technologies and medicines.