Creating Numbered Equations in LaTeX Reports

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Hootenanny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation is about numbering equations in a latex report according to their corresponding section. The solution is to add the line \numberwithin{equation}{section} to the preamble. The person providing the solution is praised as a genius and thanked by the original poster.
Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm not really sure what to put this thread since the old latex thread has been closed down, so feel free to move it to wherever is appropriate Eva et al.

I'm writing a report in latex and I need my equations to be numbered according to which section they are in. For example the first equation in section one should appear numbered as (1.1), the second (1.2) etc, the first number corresponding to the section. Does anyone know how to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you add the line \numberwithin{equation}{section} to the preamble, that should work!

cristo said:
If you add the line \numberwithin{equation}{section} to the preamble, that should work!
My friend, you are a genius :cool: thanks!

Hootenanny said:
My friend, you are a genius :cool: thanks!
:blushing: You're welcome!

1. How do I create a numbered equation in LaTeX reports?

To create a numbered equation in LaTeX reports, you can use the "equation" environment followed by the mathematical expression you want to display. This will automatically assign a number to the equation, which can be referenced using the "\ref" command.

2. Can I customize the numbering style of equations in LaTeX reports?

Yes, you can customize the numbering style of equations in LaTeX reports by using the "amsmath" package and its various commands such as "\tag" or "\eqref" to add custom labels or change the numbering format.

3. Can I include equations with multiple lines in LaTeX reports?

Yes, you can include equations with multiple lines in LaTeX reports by using the "align" environment. This allows you to align multiple equations at specific points and also include symbols such as "&" to indicate where the equations should be aligned.

4. How can I add descriptions or explanations to my numbered equations in LaTeX reports?

You can add descriptions or explanations to your numbered equations in LaTeX reports by using the "align" environment and the "\intertext" command. This allows you to add text between equations without disrupting the numbering.

5. Is it possible to change the font size or style of numbered equations in LaTeX reports?

Yes, it is possible to change the font size or style of numbered equations in LaTeX reports by using the "amsmath" package and its various commands such as "\displaystyle" or "\textstyle" to adjust the font size and style of the equations.