Dilute, Unsaturated, Saturated and Supersaturated solutions

• Thread starter GLprincess02
  • Start date
In summary, the correct matches are: 1. C, 2. C, 3. D, 4. A, 5. A, 6. B. The solution in question 1 is actually saturated, not supersaturated. And in question 3, the solution will release excess solute if disturbed or another crystal is added, making it unsaturated, not saturated. Additionally, the "watery" taste in question 5 indicates a dilute solution, not a supersaturated one. It is important to carefully consider the definitions of dilute, unsaturated, saturated, and supersaturated when matching them to statements about solutions.
GLprincess02

Homework Statement

Match the items to the statements below.
A Dilute
B Unsaturated
C Saturated
D Supersaturated

1. Sodium acetate solution after the excess solute fell out of solution.
2. There is visible solute on the bottom of the container.
3. The solution will release excess solute if disturbed or another crystal is added.
4. A small amount of solute in solvent.
5. "Watery" tasting kool aid.
6. Can hold more solute at the current temperature.

2. The attempt at a solution
1. D
2. C
3. C
4. A
5. A
6. B

I know that at least one if not more of these is wrong, but I'm having trouble figuring out which ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
#3 right isn't right. I also don't agree on #1. Care to explain why you picked those answers?

Well the only reason why I put #1 as D. was because I saw sodium acetate under examples of supersaturated solutions in my Chem book. And #3 I was sort of just guessing on.

But I see now that 1 is C. and 3 is D. So I got it!

1. What is the difference between a dilute solution and a concentrated solution?

A dilute solution has a lower amount of solute dissolved in a given amount of solvent, while a concentrated solution has a higher amount of solute dissolved in the same amount of solvent. This means that a dilute solution has a lower concentration of solute particles compared to a concentrated solution.

2. How is saturation of a solution determined?

Saturation of a solution is determined by the maximum amount of solute that can be dissolved in a given amount of solvent at a specific temperature. When this maximum amount is reached, the solution is considered saturated, and any additional solute will not dissolve.

3. What is the difference between a saturated and an unsaturated solution?

A saturated solution is one that has reached its maximum solubility and cannot dissolve any more solute, while an unsaturated solution has not yet reached its maximum solubility and can still dissolve more solute.

4. What is a supersaturated solution?

A supersaturated solution is one that contains more solute than it theoretically should be able to dissolve at a given temperature. This usually occurs when a solution is heated and then slowly cooled, allowing more solute to dissolve than at the original temperature. These solutions are unstable and can rapidly crystallize if disturbed.

5. How can supersaturation be achieved?

Supersaturation can be achieved by heating a solution to increase its solubility, then slowly cooling it down to allow more solute to dissolve. Alternatively, supersaturation can also be achieved by evaporating some of the solvent from a saturated solution, increasing the concentration of the remaining solute.