Solve Quadric Equation: 4x^2+y^2+4z^2-4y-24z+36=0

• Thread starter Winzer
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to identify the quadric 4x^2+y^2+4z^2-4y-24z+36=0 and correct errors in completing the square and factoring. The individuals in the conversation point out mistakes and provide guidance on how to properly complete the square and factor the equation.
Winzer

Homework Statement

Identify the quadric:

Homework Equations

[tex]4x^2+y^2+4z^2-4y-24z+36=0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]4x^2+(y-2)^2+4(z-3)^2=-36+9+4[/tex]
Right?
Then
[tex]4x^2+(y-2)^2+4(z-3)^2=-23[/tex]
But this is wrong. How?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your algebra in step 3.

More specifically, check the terms associated with Z.

CaptainZappo said:
Check your algebra in step 3.

More specifically, check the terms associated with Z.

Mmm. I am not quite sure what you mean. If your talking about the 4 I just factored that out.

Winzer said:
Mmm. I am not quite sure what you mean. If your talking about the 4 I just factored that out.

Yes, that's what he means. Since you factor the 4 out, and you complete the square, like this:
[tex]4z ^ 2 - 24z = 4 (z ^ 2 - 6z) = 4 (z ^ 2 - 6z) + 36 - 36 = 4 (z ^ 2 - 6z + 9) - 36 = 4 (z - 3) ^ 2 \textcolor{red}{- 36}[/tex]

In fact, you should add and subtract 36, instead of 4, as you did. :)

Shouldn't it be:

[tex] 4x^2+y^2+4z^2-4y-24z+36=0[/tex]
[tex] 4x^2+(y^2-4y+4)+(4z^2-24z+144)=-36+144+4[/tex]?

Winzer said:
Shouldn't it be:

Actually I think I see it:
I have to complete the square first, then I can factor, then subtract.

Winzer said:
Shouldn't it be:

Nope, note that 4z2 = (2z)2

So, it should be:

[tex]4x^2+(y^2-4y+4)+((2z)^2- 2 \times (2z) \times 6 + 6 ^ 2)=-36 \textcolor{red}{+ 36} + 4 \Rightarrow ...[/tex]

Can you take it from here? :)-----------------

Edit:
Actually I think I see it:
I have to complete the square first, then I can factor, then subtract.

No, you can factor first, like what I've done in the previous post. That's okay, but you should be extremely careful when doing this.

Last edited:
lol. I feel like a moron.

1. How do I identify a quadric equation?

A quadric equation is a polynomial equation of the form ax^2 + by^2 + cz^2 + dx + ey + f = 0, where a, b, and c are coefficients and x, y, and z are variables raised to the second power. It can also be written in the form of a quadratic equation, ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

2. What is the general method for solving a quadric equation?

The general method for solving a quadric equation is by using the quadratic formula, which is x = (-b ± √(b^2-4ac)) / 2a. This formula can be used for both quadratic equations and quadric equations with three variables.

3. How do I solve the given quadric equation?

To solve the given quadric equation, first, rearrange the equation to bring all the terms containing the variables to one side and the constant term to the other side. Then, use the quadratic formula to find the values of x, y, and z. Substitute these values back into the original equation to check if they satisfy the equation.

4. Can I use any other method to solve a quadric equation?

Yes, there are other methods for solving a quadric equation, such as completing the square and factoring. However, the quadratic formula is the most commonly used method as it can be applied to any type of quadratic equation.

5. Are there any real solutions to the given quadric equation?

In order for a quadric equation to have real solutions, the discriminant (b^2-4ac) must be greater than or equal to 0. If the discriminant is less than 0, there are no real solutions and the equation has complex solutions. In the given quadric equation, the discriminant is equal to 0, so there is only one real solution.