Difference between pseudorapidity and rapidity

• Thread starter indigojoker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, rapidity and pseudorapidity are both measurements of speed, with rapidity being a measurement of speed in spacetime and pseudorapidity being a measurement of speed in a specific direction. Both can be used to calculate energy and momentum of a particle in a high energy accelerator, but pseudorapidity specifically takes into account the angle of deviation from the center of the beam.
indigojoker
I was wondering what the different between pseudorapidity and rapidity was (pertaining to a high energy accelerator). I know know pesudorapidity is but not sure what rapidity is.

Physics news on Phys.org
rapidity is a type of "velocity" while pseudorapidity is a type of "angle" that tells me where I am in the detector. That doesn't make any sense at all to me because I don't think one can get m/s from the rapidity formula [tex] y = \frac{1}{2} ln \left( \frac{E+p_{z}}{E-p_{z}} \right) [/tex]

indigojoker said:
rapidity is a type of "velocity" while pseudorapidity is a type of "angle" that tells me where I am in the detector. That doesn't make any sense at all to me because I don't think one can get m/s from the rapidity formula [tex] y = \frac{1}{2} ln \left( \frac{E+p_{z}}{E-p_{z}} \right) [/tex]
Rapidity [tex]\theta[/tex] is a [Minkowski-]angle in spacetime [not space], whose hyperbolic-tangent is related to the spatial-velocity [in space] by:
[tex] \tanh \theta = \displaystyle\frac{v}{c} = \beta [/tex]

Have you seen
http://pdg.lbl.gov/2007/reviews/kinemarpp.pdf
38. Kinematics, p. 7 , eqns. 38.35-38.37 [where rapidity is called [itex]y[/itex] instead]?
Note (as noted on p.1 of that section) "units are used in which [tex]\hbar=c=1[/tex]", which not the best way to say it... but it works.

so where in the detector does rapidity physically describe?

pseudorapidity is described by:
[tex] \eta=-ln \left( tan \left( \frac{\theta}{2} \right) \right) [/tex]

is the theta in this formula rapidity?

indigojoker said:
I was wondering what the different between pseudorapidity and rapidity was (pertaining to a high energy accelerator). I know know pesudorapidity is but not sure what rapidity is.

Both are rapidities, where the rapidity [itex]\theta[/itex] is just a measurement of speed:

[tex] v/c\ =\ \tanh(\theta)[/tex]

The rapidity is zero when v=0, while the rapidity becomes infinite if v=c.
Rapidity is often used to calculate the energy and momentum of a particle:

[tex] E\ =\ \gamma m c^2\ =\ \frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}\ =\ \cosh(\theta) mc^2 [/tex]

[tex] p\ =\ \gamma m v\ =\ \frac{mv}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}\ = \sinh(\theta) m [/tex]

Pseudorapidity is a rapidity also: If a particle has a small deviation from
the center path of a beam expressed by an angle [itex]\alpha[/itex], and the beam is
assumed to approach the speed of light, then the particle will have a speed
component in the forward direction of the beam which is lower than c.

This speed depends on the angle of deviation and is given by the formula
you quoted. This is a rapidity, To get the speed of the particle you can
simply apply the first formula given above.

So, this is then the speed-component of the particle in the forward
direction of the beam. The total speed of the particle approaches c
a well, like the other particles of the beam.

indigojoker said:
pseudorapidity is described by:
[tex] \eta=-ln \left( tan \left( \frac{\theta}{2} \right) \right) [/tex]

is the theta in this formula rapidity?

No, it's the angle of deviation of the center of the beam.

Regards, Hans

1. What is the difference between pseudorapidity and rapidity?

Pseudorapidity and rapidity are two different ways of measuring the angle of a particle's trajectory in a particle accelerator. Pseudorapidity is based on the polar angle of a particle relative to the beam axis, while rapidity is based on the logarithm of the particle's energy and momentum.

2. Which measurement, pseudorapidity or rapidity, is more commonly used in high energy physics?

Pseudorapidity is more commonly used in high energy physics because it is more closely related to the angle of a particle's trajectory and is easier to measure experimentally.

3. What is the physical significance of pseudorapidity and rapidity?

Pseudorapidity and rapidity are both measures of a particle's trajectory in a particle accelerator, which can provide information about the energy and momentum of the particle. They are also used to study the production and behavior of particles in high energy collisions.

4. Can pseudorapidity and rapidity be converted into each other?

Yes, pseudorapidity and rapidity can be converted into each other using mathematical equations. However, this conversion is only approximate and is dependent on the energy and momentum of the particle being measured.

5. How do pseudorapidity and rapidity affect the calculation of cross sections in particle collisions?

Pseudorapidity and rapidity are important factors in the calculation of cross sections in particle collisions because they help determine the probability of particle interactions. Accurate measurements of pseudorapidity and rapidity are crucial for understanding the dynamics of particle interactions and for making predictions about future experiments.