Cool DC motors for electric vehicles

In summary, while searching for high power DC motors for a work application, the conversation participant came across a link to evparts.com that offered significantly lower prices compared to standard motor suppliers. The participant was excited about the cost savings and mentioned that the supplier had made it to the front page of the Wall Street Journal. They also expressed their interest in electric vehicles and the potential cost savings in fuel, with the lower price of motors being a key factor. However, they also noted that the cost of capacitors may still be a significant factor. Overall, the participant was grateful for the link and found it helpful in their search for affordable motors.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
There seems to be quite a dramatic price range for high power DC motors, and I was thrilled to find this link while searching for solutions for a work application. The prices blew me away when compared to those found at the standard motor suppliers.
http://www.evparts.com/shopping/index.php?id=533

These are sweeeeeeeeet!

I talked with the supplier who told me that he and his buddy made the Wall Street Journal today [I think he even said it was the front page].

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, there's another one for the 'bookmarks' bar. Thanks, Ivan.

Thank you for that link Ivan! This (EV's) is my main field of interest in tech, and the purchase price of the vehicle (or the price of building one myself) is a major factor. I recently calculated the cost for fuel to be 1/5 what I'm paying for gas, and figured that if the vehicle cost $10,000 more than an ICE, I'd make my money back before the car was paid off (5 yrs), assuming I drive about 1,500 mi/month. Knowing that motors are available at these prices is a great help.
(Of course, the price of the Capacitor will be the main thing, but still, this helps)

1. What are the benefits of using DC motors in electric vehicles?

DC motors offer a number of benefits for electric vehicles. They are compact, lightweight, and efficient, making them ideal for use in cars. They also have a simple design, which reduces maintenance and repair costs. Additionally, DC motors can provide high torque at low speeds, making them well-suited for stop-and-go driving in urban areas.

2. How do DC motors work in electric vehicles?

DC motors use electromagnetism to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy. Inside the motor, there are two main components: a stator (stationary part) and a rotor (rotating part). The stator contains permanent magnets, while the rotor has electromagnets. When electricity flows through the electromagnets, they create a magnetic field that interacts with the permanent magnets on the stator, causing the rotor to rotate and power the vehicle.

3. Are there different types of DC motors used in electric vehicles?

Yes, there are two main types of DC motors used in electric vehicles: brushed and brushless. Brushed DC motors use physical brushes to transfer electricity to the rotor, while brushless DC motors use electronic commutation to switch the electromagnets on and off. Brushless motors are more efficient and have a longer lifespan, but they are also more complex and expensive.

4. Can DC motors be used in all electric vehicles?

While DC motors are commonly used in electric vehicles, they may not be suitable for all types of vehicles. For example, high-performance sports cars may require more power and torque than a DC motor can provide, so they may use a different type of motor. However, DC motors are suitable for most everyday electric vehicles, including sedans, SUVs, and small trucks.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of using DC motors in electric vehicles?

One potential drawback of using DC motors in electric vehicles is their limited speed range. They typically operate best at lower speeds, so they may not be suitable for high-speed driving. Additionally, DC motors may produce more heat and require a larger cooling system compared to other types of motors. However, these limitations can be addressed through proper design and engineering.