Lightyears and the surface area of a planet.

In summary, a light year is the unit of distance that light, with a speed of 2.99792e8 m/s, travels in one year. The surface area of a planet with a radius of 1300 km is 6.76e6[pi] km^2. To convert to lightyears, you need to divide by 8.94e25 km^2/lightyears^2, resulting in a surface area of 2.38e-19 lightyears^2.
niyati
A light year is the unit of distance that light, with a speed of 2.99792e8 m/s, travels in one year. What is the surface area of a planet whose radius is 1300 km? Answer in units of lightyears^2.

I am wondering if my method is correct.

SA of a sphere is 4[pi]R^2. With R = 1300, the surface area is 6.76e6[pi] km^2. Since they want this number in terms of light years, I need to first, well, convert the ratio into years. With dimension analysis (not the internet), I found that there was 31536000 seconds in one year. Setting up a proportion, that's about 9.45e15 meters in one year, or 9.45e12 km in one year. I squared that number (this is the part I am most unsure about) and then divided 6.76e6[pi] by about 8.94e25 km^2, to get 2.38e-19. But I don't think that's right, because the dimensions actually cancel, then.

>_<

Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should divide 6.76e6[pi] km^2 by 8.94e25 km^2/lighyears^2. The units will be okay.

Thank you!

I forgot about km^2 being overlightyears^2.

:D

1. What is a lightyear and how is it related to the surface area of a planet?

A lightyear is a unit of measurement used to represent the distance that light travels in one year. It is often used in astronomy to measure vast distances in the universe. The surface area of a planet is related to lightyears in the sense that the distance between two points on a planet's surface can be measured in lightyears.

2. How is the surface area of a planet calculated?

The surface area of a planet is calculated by taking the sum of all the areas of its individual surfaces. For example, the surface area of a sphere can be calculated using the formula 4πr², where r is the radius of the sphere.

3. Does the surface area of a planet affect its ability to support life?

The surface area of a planet can play a role in its ability to support life. A larger surface area means there is more space for living organisms to thrive and more diverse environments for them to inhabit. However, other factors such as atmosphere, temperature, and distance from its star also play a significant role in a planet's ability to support life.

4. Can the surface area of a planet change over time?

The surface area of a planet can change over time due to various geological processes such as erosion, tectonic activity, and volcanic eruptions. Human activities, such as deforestation and urbanization, can also impact the surface area of a planet.

5. How does the surface area of a planet affect its gravity?

The surface area of a planet is directly related to its mass, and mass is a significant factor in determining a planet's gravity. The larger the surface area, the greater the mass, and therefore, the stronger the gravitational pull. This is why larger planets tend to have stronger gravity than smaller ones.