How do I unfreeze my mouse cursor on a laptop without an external mouse?

• Thread starter Benzoate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Screen
In summary: It is my touchpad. So what should I do to get my touchpad functioning again.wats the os ? sometimes this problem arise with uncompatibility between some version of linuxes and mouse..have you pressed the button to 'enable' the touch pad/mouse?F9.
Benzoate
For some reason, my mouse cursor remains frozen , even after I shut down my laptop numerous . What steps should I take to unfreeze my cursor?

BTW,I'm using a laptop and and I don't have a mouse attached to my laptop. I'm using the mouse already installed on keyboard of my laptop

Physics news on Phys.org
Benzoate said:
For some reason, my mouse cursor remains frozen , even after I shut down my laptop numerous . What steps should I take to unfreeze my cursor?

BTW,I'm using a laptop and and I don't have a mouse attached to my laptop. I'm using the mouse already installed on keyboard of my laptop

What were you doing before the mouse froze on you? Is it frozen in the middle of the screen after reboot? And try plugging in an external mouse to see if you can get back your mouse functionality.

have you pressed the button to 'enable' the touch pad/mouse?

You may have a problem with the touch pad. As Servo888 suggested try to plug in an external mouse and see if that works. If it does, the problem may be with your touch pad.

G01 said:
You may have a problem with the touch pad. As Servo888 suggested try to plug in an external mouse and see if that works. If it does, the problem may be with your touch pad.

It is my touchpad. So what should I do to get my touchpad functioning again.

wats the os ?
sometimes this problem arise with uncompatibility between some version of linuxes and mouse..

rewebster said:
have you pressed the button to 'enable' the touch pad/mouse?

Which button should I pressed to enable my touchpad?

fn-f9

sometimes its directly above the 'pad' area

Yea the button to turn off/on my pad is above it. Ussually there is one as it is nice to turn it off when typing.

What should I do if my mouse cursor is frozen on the screen?

If your mouse cursor is frozen, it can be frustrating, but there are several steps you can take to troubleshoot and resolve the issue.

1. Check Physical Connections:

Ensure that your mouse is securely connected to your computer. If it's a wired mouse, check the cable and the USB port. For wireless mice, make sure the batteries are not depleted, and the receiver is plugged in correctly.

2. Restart Your Computer:

Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve the issue. Reboot your computer and see if the mouse cursor works after the restart.

3. Try a Different Mouse:

If you have access to another mouse, try connecting it to your computer to see if the issue persists. This will help determine if the problem is with the mouse or your computer.

4. Check Mouse Settings:

Go to your computer's settings or control panel and check the mouse settings. Ensure that the mouse is enabled and that the cursor speed and sensitivity settings are correct.

5. Update or Reinstall Mouse Drivers:

Outdated or corrupted mouse drivers can cause cursor issues. Update the drivers through your computer's device manager or reinstall them from the manufacturer's website.

6. Scan for Malware:

Malware or viruses can interfere with your mouse and other hardware. Run a thorough malware scan using your antivirus software to ensure your system is clean.

7. Check for Operating System Updates:

Make sure your operating system is up to date with the latest patches and updates. Sometimes, OS updates can address hardware issues.

8. Test in Safe Mode:

Boot your computer into Safe Mode to see if the mouse cursor works there. If it does, it might indicate a software conflict causing the issue.

9. Consult Technical Support:

If none of the above steps resolve the issue, consider contacting technical support or seeking assistance from a computer technician for further diagnosis and repair.

10. Hardware Check:

If the problem persists and you suspect a hardware issue with your computer, consider having a professional technician inspect and repair any hardware components that may be causing the problem.

Remember to save your work and back up important data before performing any troubleshooting steps that involve restarting or making changes to your system.