Superman: Stop a Train in Minimum Time

• Thread starter BuBbLeS01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Superman
In summary, the problem involves finding the speed at which Superman must fly into a train traveling at 70.0 km/hr in order to stop it, taking into account the mass of both Superman and the train. The second part of the problem involves calculating the minimum time Superman must take to stop the train, considering the passengers' experience of a force equal to 0.500 times their own weight. Finally, the third part asks for the distance traveled by the train while being brought to a stop. The solutions involve using the equations for conservation of momentum and motion with constant acceleration.
BuBbLeS01

Homework Statement

A.) Find the speed at which Superman (mass=79.0 kg) must fly into a train (mass = 17026 kg) traveling at 70.0 km/hr to stop it.
B.) Running into the train at that speed would severely damage both train and passengers. Calculate the minimum time Superman must take to stop the train, if the passengers experience an average horizontal force of 0.500 their own weight.
C.) How far does the train then travel while being slowed to a stop?

So I put the train traveling to right, positive x-direction and superman traveling left, negative x-direction

Homework Equations

Pf-Pi = 0
Pf = Pi

Ms= 79kg
Mt = 17026kg
Vti = 70km/hr = 19.444m/s
Vft = 0m/s (because it is coming to a stop)
Vfs = 0m/s (because it is coming to a stop)
Vsi = ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Pf = Pi
(Ms * Vfs) + (Mt * Vtf) = (Ms * Vsi) + (Mt *Vti)
0 = (Ms * Vsi) + (Mt *Vti)
(-Mt * Vti) / Ms = -Vsi (Negative because he is moving to the left

I am not getting the right answer, can someone please help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
First part is conservation of momentum (=mv)
Second is just v = u + a t with a = 0.5g

Isn't that what I did...for the first part?

So for the first part isn't it...
Pf = Pi
(Ms * Vfs) + (Mt * Vtf) = (Ms * Vsi) + (Mt *Vti)

I guess not because its saying incorrect.

I need help with the second part...but what is u??

Im losing my mind with part B and C...does anyone know how to do these?

a, speed = 70km/h x (17026/79) =15086 km/h

b, v=u +at v=0, a=-0.5g = -4.9 m/s^2 u=19.4m/s
t = 3.96s

c, v^2 = u^2 + 2as as above, 19.4^2 = 2 *0.5 *g *s
s = 19.4^2/9.8 = 38.6m

Thank you!

1. How does Superman stop a train in minimum time?

Superman is able to stop a train in minimum time due to his superhuman strength and speed. He is able to use his strength to apply enough force to the train to slow it down or stop it completely. Additionally, his super speed allows him to quickly reach the train and use his strength before it reaches a dangerous speed or location.

2. What factors contribute to the minimum time it takes for Superman to stop a train?

The main factor that contributes to the minimum time it takes for Superman to stop a train is his superhuman strength and speed. However, other factors such as the weight and speed of the train, the terrain and conditions of the track, and any potential obstacles or hazards along the way may also play a role in how quickly Superman is able to stop the train.

3. Is it scientifically possible for Superman to stop a train in minimum time?

While Superman's abilities may seem far-fetched, the principles of physics and his superhuman strength and speed make it scientifically possible for him to stop a train in minimum time. However, the exact amount of time it would take would depend on various factors such as the weight and speed of the train, as well as Superman's own strength and speed.

4. How does Superman's body withstand the impact of stopping a train in minimum time?

Superman's body is able to withstand the impact of stopping a train in minimum time due to his invulnerability. This ability allows him to withstand extreme amounts of force without being harmed. Additionally, his superhuman physiology and advanced healing abilities may also aid in his ability to withstand such impacts.

5. Are there any potential dangers or consequences of Superman stopping a train in minimum time?

While Superman's abilities may allow him to stop a train in minimum time, there may still be potential dangers or consequences. For example, if he is not careful, he could potentially damage the train or any surrounding structures. Additionally, the force of stopping a train in minimum time could have a negative impact on his body, causing strain or injury. It is important for Superman to use caution and control when using his powers to stop a train.