Speed of Spherical Waves: How Fast is v?

In summary: I'm using Firefox (2.0.0.1) on a Mac (OS 10.4.10) right now. I haven't noticed any problems with the last few versions (at least) of either of these.test1, 2, 3 not necessarily if you're viewing with Firefox on linux or Mac.I'm using Firefox (2.0.0.1) on a Mac (OS 10.4.10) right now. I haven't noticed any problems with the last few versions (at least) of either of these.
pardesi
what do we mean when we sy the speed of spherical waves is [tex]v[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
pardesi said:
what do we mean when we sy the speed of spherical waves is [tex]v[/tex]

There are several definitions. Phase velocity, group velocity, front velocity. If there is no dispersion and no loss, all these give the same.

when we write the equation of sphericcal wavefunctions [tex]\psi(r,t)=\frac{f(r-vt)}{r}[/tex] what does [tex]v[/tex] here mean

pardesi said:
when we write the equation of sphericcal wavefunctions [tex]\psi(r,t)=\frac{f(r-vt)}{r}[/tex] what does [tex]v[/tex] here mean

As I said, if its a non-dispersive medium phase=group=front velocity. From your definition, f(x) represents a kind of wave group and so v is the group velocity. But on the other hand the term group velocity doesn't refer to spherical symmetry, but rather to pure translation. So maybe there is no established term for this.

pardesi said:

It means the same thing as with a plane wave. If you "stand" at a fixed location anywhere and watch the wavefronts (surfaces of constant phase) go past you, they are moving at speed [itex]v[/itex].

(By the way, equations embedded into text line up better with the text if you use "itex" instead of "tex" in the tags.)

thanks

jtbell said:
It means the same thing as with a plane wave. If you "stand" at a fixed location anywhere and watch the wavefronts (surfaces of constant phase) go past you, they are moving at speed [itex]v[/itex].

(By the way, equations embedded into text line up better with the text if you use "itex" instead of "tex" in the tags.)

not necessarily if you're viewing with Firefox on linux or Mac.

I'm using Firefox (2.0.0.1) on a Mac (OS 10.4.10) right now. I haven't noticed any problems with the last few versions (at least) of either of these.

jtbell said:
I'm using Firefox (2.0.0.1) on a Mac (OS 10.4.10) right now. I haven't noticed any problems with the last few versions (at least) of either of these.

testing [itex]1, 2, 3[/itex] ...

hmmm, looks like you're right. I'm using my daughters' iMac.

but I'm pretty certain, using Firefox under Fedora linux, (which is what i have at work), that even with itex, the expressions get elevated a little from the baseline of the text.

Last edited:
@jtbell
well one doubt more
then can we define wavefunctions as functions which satisfy
[tex]\Nabla^{2}=\frac{\delta^{2} \psi}{v^{2}\delta t^{2}}[/tex] for some constant [itex]v[/itex] whixh sometimes turns out to be the phase velocity or for that matter group or front velocity

jtbell said:

jt, i just happened to check, and it's:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060913 Fedora/1.5.0.7-1.fc5 Firefox/1.5.0.7 pango-text

the itex baseline is elevated about 1/2 line above the regular text baseline. don't know why that is, but I've been less impressed with linux than the hacker community.

1. What is the speed of spherical waves?

The speed of spherical waves, denoted by v, is the rate at which a disturbance travels through a medium in the form of a spherical wave. It is a fundamental property of wave motion and is dependent on the properties of the medium through which the wave is traveling.

2. How is the speed of spherical waves calculated?

The speed of spherical waves can be calculated using the formula v = √(E/ρ), where E is the Young's modulus of the medium and ρ is its density. This formula is derived from the wave equation, which relates the speed of a wave to the properties of the medium through which it is traveling.

3. Is the speed of spherical waves constant?

No, the speed of spherical waves is not constant. It can vary depending on the properties of the medium, such as its density and elasticity. In some cases, the speed of spherical waves may also be affected by external factors such as temperature and pressure.

4. How does the speed of spherical waves differ from other types of waves?

The speed of spherical waves is different from other types of waves, such as plane waves or cylindrical waves, because it is dependent on the distance from the source of the disturbance. As the wave travels further away from the source, its speed decreases due to the increasing surface area of the sphere over which it is propagating.

5. Why is the speed of spherical waves important?

The speed of spherical waves is important because it helps us understand how energy is transferred through a medium. It is also used in various fields of science and engineering, such as seismology, acoustics, and electromagnetics, to study and analyze wave phenomena and their effects on the environment.