In a popular amusement-park ride, a cylinder of radius 2.00 m is set in rota

In summary, the minimum coefficient of friction needed to keep a rider from slipping on a popular amusement-park ride with a rotating cylinder of radius 2.00 m and angular speed of 6.00 rad/s is 0.13611111.
lettertwelve
[SOLVED] In a popular amusement-park ride, a cylinder of radius 2.00 m is set in rota

Homework Statement

In a popular amusement-park ride, a cylinder of radius 2.00 m is set in rotation at an angular speed of 6.00 rad/s, as shown in Figure 7-20 (http://www.webassign.net/sfhs99/7-20.gif). The floor then drops away, leaving the riders suspended against the wall in a vertical position. What minimum coefficient of friction between a rider's clothing and the wall of the cylinder is needed to keep the rider from slipping?

Homework Equations

mu = g/omega^2*R

The Attempt at a Solution

mu= 9.8/36*2 = .54

but it says I am incorrect..

Physics news on Phys.org
You have it parenthesized wrong. mu=g/(omega^2*R), mu=9.8/(36*2). That's not 0.54.

Dick said:
You have it parenthesized wrong. mu=g/(omega^2*R), mu=9.8/(36*2). That's not 0.54.

so it's .14

i got that answer before, but its still incorrect.

It looks pretty right to me. Answer keys are not always correct. But then I'm not always correct either. Did you try 0.13611111...

Dick said:
It looks pretty right to me. Answer keys are not always correct. But then I'm not always correct either. Did you try 0.13611111...

i typed in 0.13611111, and it worked! thank you!

1. What is the purpose of the cylinder in the amusement park ride?

The cylinder in the amusement park ride is used to create a circular motion and simulate the feeling of being on a roller coaster. It also provides a safe and controlled environment for riders to experience the thrill of a roller coaster.

2. How does the rotation of the cylinder affect the ride experience?

The rotation of the cylinder creates centrifugal force, which pushes riders against the walls and gives them the sensation of being on a roller coaster. The speed and direction of rotation can also be adjusted to change the intensity of the ride.

3. What is the significance of the cylinder's radius being 2.00 m?

The radius of the cylinder is an important factor in determining the ride experience. A larger radius will produce a gentler ride, while a smaller radius will create a more intense experience. In this case, a 2.00 m radius is likely chosen for a balanced and enjoyable ride for most riders.

4. How is the safety of the ride ensured with the rotating cylinder?

The cylinder is designed with safety measures in place, such as harnesses and seat belts, to keep riders securely in place while the cylinder is rotating. The ride is also regularly inspected and maintained to ensure it meets safety standards.

5. What other factors contribute to the overall experience of the amusement park ride?

In addition to the cylinder and its rotation, other factors such as music, lighting, and special effects can enhance the overall experience of the amusement park ride. The design and theming of the ride also play a role in creating a memorable and enjoyable experience for riders.