Simple Pressure Ballet dancer Problem

• Thread starter sun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of pressure exerted by the floor on a ballet dancer's toes during a performance. The correct equations and conversions are provided and the correct answers for both stationary and leaping scenarios are given.
sun

Homework Statement

A 50kg ballet dancer stands on her toes during a performance with four square inches (26cm^2) in contact with the floor. What is the pressure exerted by the floor over the area of contact? (a) if the dancer is stationary and (b) if the dancer leaps upwards with an acceleration of 4m/s^2?

Homework Equations

26cm^2=.26m^2
P=F/A
F=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

For question (a) i got the force to be 50(9.8)=490N, then i divided that by .26m^2. I keep getting an incorrect answer. what am i doing wrong? Also, are there any suggestions on how to set up part (b)?

I know the answers are: (a) 1.88X10^5Pa, (b)2.65X10^5Pa
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
1cm^2=10^-4 m^2

26cm^2=.26m^2. This is wrong.
26cm^2=26*10^-4m^2.
In part B force = 50*(9.8 + 4 ) N

Thanks to both of you. What careless errors on my part. :(

1. What is the "Simple Pressure Ballet dancer Problem"?

The "Simple Pressure Ballet dancer Problem" is a physics problem that involves a ballet dancer standing on the tips of their toes. The problem asks for the minimum amount of pressure that the dancer needs to apply on their toes in order to stay balanced.

2. Why is the "Simple Pressure Ballet dancer Problem" important?

This problem is important because it helps us understand the principles of balance and stability in objects, as well as the concept of pressure and its effects on an object's equilibrium.

3. What are the key factors that affect the solution to the "Simple Pressure Ballet dancer Problem"?

The key factors that affect the solution to this problem are the weight of the dancer, the surface area of the tips of their toes, and the gravitational force acting on the dancer.

4. How is the "Simple Pressure Ballet dancer Problem" solved?

The problem can be solved using the principles of physics, specifically the equations of equilibrium and pressure. By setting up the forces acting on the dancer and analyzing the moments, we can determine the minimum amount of pressure needed to maintain balance.

5. Can the "Simple Pressure Ballet dancer Problem" be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, this problem can be applied to real-world situations involving balance and stability, such as in architecture and engineering. It can also be applied to sports and dance, where balance and precision are crucial for performance.