Should I participate in science fairs?

• Thread starter lLovePhysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the individual is a high school junior taking AP courses and is interested in conducting a science fair project related to math and the sciences. They are unsure if they should focus on maintaining good grades or conducting research, and are struggling to come up with a topic that is both genuine and within their capabilities. They are seeking advice on how to approach choosing a topic and are considering teaming up with a mentor.
lLovePhysics
I'm currently a high school junior taking a variety of AP courses. I'm getting A's with the exception of a few B's. I really want to conduct a science fair project, however, and I don't want to rush it (as long as I can finish before senior year).

Should I focus on maintaining good grades and on obtaining good test scores or should I go ahead and do research?

I'm planning to major in something related to math and the sciences. Right now, I'm most fascinated with Physics, and the applications of math, especially calculus, to solving Physics problems.

I'm really not sure where to start and how to come up with a topic that interests me. It seems hard to find something that is genuine yet is something that I'm passionate about and can actually do a project on. Any suggestions as to what I should do? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
lLovePhysics said:
I'm currently a high school junior taking a variety of AP courses. I'm getting A's with the exception of a few B's. I really want to conduct a science fair project, however, and I don't want to rush it (as long as I can finish before senior year).

Should I focus on maintaining good grades and on obtaining good test scores or should I go ahead and do research?

I'm planning to major in something related to math and the sciences. Right now, I'm most fascinated with Physics, and the applications of math, especially calculus, to solving Physics problems.

I'm really not sure where to start and how to come up with a topic that interests me. It seems hard to find something that is genuine yet is something that I'm passionate about and can actually do a project on. Any suggestions as to what I should do? Thanks.

first of all, congrats for maintaining a good academic record. i feel you can do ur research but not at the cost of your grades. what you can do is, trying to choose some topic or area for the project that is very parallel to your coursework. in this way, you wouldn't have to spend too much time away from your regular subjects and at the same time, could do something substantial.

lLovePhysics said:

I would highly encourage you to do independent research. You learn much more by doing your own experiments than what can through a textbook. Even if your experiment fails you still learn from it. Some of the science that you learn in textbooks are not practical or rarely ever works in the real world (I know from first hand experiences).

I feel like you shouldn't overthink a topic for your project. I have been a regional science fair judge for the past 2 years and some of the best projects are on the simplest topics.

veejay said:
first of all, congrats for maintaining a good academic record. i feel you can do ur research but not at the cost of your grades. what you can do is, trying to choose some topic or area for the project that is very parallel to your coursework. in this way, you wouldn't have to spend too much time away from your regular subjects and at the same time, could do something substantial.

Can you derive a simple science fair projects from high school physics, calculus, and the other sciences? Should I think up something original or what? I've been thinking forver and I can't seem to come up with a good topic that fits my interests (and is within my ability scope).

Teaming up with a mentor is a good approach. That could be a physics teacher at your school. Many school districts also have mentor programs where they can team you with a professor at a local college or a volunteer from industry. Call your district office to find out.

1. What are the benefits of participating in science fairs?

Participating in science fairs allows students to engage in hands-on learning, develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and gain experience in the scientific method. It also provides an opportunity to showcase their work and potentially win awards or recognition.

2. Is participating in a science fair worth the time and effort?

While science fairs do require time and effort, the benefits of participating can be significant. Not only do students learn valuable skills and gain experience, but it can also enhance their college and career prospects by demonstrating their passion for science and dedication to their studies.

3. Can anyone participate in a science fair?

Yes, science fairs are open to students of all ages and backgrounds. Many schools and organizations host science fairs, and there are also regional and national competitions available to enter. All that is needed is a curious mind and a desire to explore and learn about a scientific topic.

4. Do I need a mentor or teacher to participate in a science fair?

While having a mentor or teacher to guide and support you can be helpful, it is not always necessary. Many students have successfully participated in science fairs on their own, conducting experiments and research with the guidance of their parents or peers.

5. How can I come up with a project idea for a science fair?

There are many ways to come up with project ideas for a science fair. One option is to explore topics that you are interested in or passionate about. You can also look at current events or issues and see how science can be applied to solve problems. Asking questions and doing research can also lead to project ideas.