How Do Tension and Distance Affect Pulse Travel Time in a Stretched Cord?

In summary, the problem involves a cord with a mass of 0.65 Kg and a length of 28 m, with a tension of 150 N. The goal is to determine the time it takes for a pulse to travel from one end of the cord to the other. Using the equation for the speed of a wave, which is the square root of tension divided by mass per unit length, the time can be calculated by dividing the given length by the calculated speed.
astro_kat

Homework Statement

a cord of mass 0.65 Kg is stretched between two supports 28 m apart, The tension of the cord is 150 N, how long will it take a pulse to go from one end to the other?

Homework Equations

ok, so I really know is: speed of wave=frequency*wavelength...

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no clue, I know the distance, with the speed I can solve for frequency, but I don't know how to find time elapsed... can anyone help me, I have no clue how to use tension in this problem!

Physics news on Phys.org
the speed of a wave traveling through the string would be

[tex]v=\sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}[/tex]

where [itex]\mu[/itex] is the mass per unit length

oh, cool, yeah i remember seeing that equation somewhere before... right so:
v= (150/(0.65Kg/28m))^.5

take that number, given the length of the cord I can solve for time

That should work,yes

What is tension?

Tension is the amount of force or stress applied to an object or system. In the context of human physiology, tension refers to the force and tightness of muscles.

What is pulse?

Pulse is the rhythmic beating or throbbing of arteries as blood is pumped through the body. It can be felt in areas where arteries are close to the skin, such as the wrist, neck, or groin.

How is time measured in biology?

Time is measured in biology in a variety of ways, depending on the specific process or phenomenon being studied. For example, in the study of heart rate, time is measured in beats per minute. In the study of chemical reactions, time is measured in seconds or minutes.

What is the relationship between tension and pulse?

Tension and pulse are closely related in the context of human physiology. When muscles are tense, they require more oxygen and nutrients, which is delivered through an increase in heart rate (pulse). This is why we often feel our pulse quicken during times of stress or physical exertion.

How do tension, pulse, and time affect each other?

Tension, pulse, and time all have a reciprocal relationship in human physiology. An increase in tension can lead to an increase in pulse and a decrease in time (e.g. faster heart rate), while a decrease in tension can lead to a decrease in pulse and an increase in time. Additionally, these factors can also influence each other in a cyclical manner, as seen in the relationship between exercise (tension), heart rate (pulse), and duration of exercise (time).