Xcel Energy's Comanche 3 Power Plant in Pueblo, CO

In summary, the Comanche 3 power plant in Pueblo, CO, using supercritical boiler technology, will produce 750 MW of power with a thermal efficiency of 42%. The plant uses Powder River Basin coal from Gillette, WY, with a heating value of 8,500 BTU/lbm. Each year, the plant burns approximately 2.86x109 kg of coal.
Winzer

Homework Statement

The Comanche 3 power plant currently being constructed in Pueblo, CO, by Xcel Energy will
produce 750 MW of power. This plant uses supercritical boiler technology which will boost the
thermal efficiency to 42%. The plant uses Powder River Basin coal from Gillette, WY, that has a
heating value of 8,500 BTU/lbm. Find the amount of coal burned in this plant each year.

Homework Equations

[tex] n=\frac{what you get}{what you paid for}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I made the conversion from 8500 BTU/lbm to 19.7710 MJ/kg (megajouls)
I did 750E6 times .42 which is 315E6 MW.
I did [tex] \frac{315E6 MW}{19.7710 MJ/kg}[/tex] which is 15.932 kg/s
I times that by 3600*24*365 to get g in a year and get 5.024E8 kg.
The answer is 2.86x109 kg, what did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to divide by 0.42 not multiply.
You want to know how many MJ of coal your are paying for, not what you get out of it!

Your calculations seem to be correct. However, there may be slight differences in the actual amount of coal burned in the plant each year due to various factors such as maintenance, operational efficiency, and variations in the energy content of the coal. It is also important to note that the amount of coal burned may change over time as the plant's operations and technology evolve. Overall, your calculations provide a good estimate of the amount of coal that will be used by the Comanche 3 power plant each year.

1. What is Xcel Energy's Comanche 3 Power Plant and where is it located?

The Comanche 3 Power Plant is a coal-fired power plant owned and operated by Xcel Energy. It is located in Pueblo, Colorado, along the Arkansas River.

2. How much electricity does the Comanche 3 Power Plant produce?

The Comanche 3 Power Plant has a capacity of 750 megawatts and can produce enough electricity to power approximately 750,000 homes.

3. What are the environmental impacts of the Comanche 3 Power Plant?

The Comanche 3 Power Plant has been designed with state-of-the-art pollution control technologies to minimize its environmental impact. It also has a comprehensive environmental management system in place to monitor and reduce its emissions.

4. What is the future of the Comanche 3 Power Plant?

The Comanche 3 Power Plant is expected to continue operating for several more decades and will play a key role in meeting the energy needs of Colorado. However, Xcel Energy is also exploring alternative energy sources and investing in renewable energy to reduce its reliance on coal-fired power plants.

5. What is Xcel Energy doing to ensure the safety of the Comanche 3 Power Plant?

Xcel Energy has rigorous safety protocols in place to ensure the safe operation of the Comanche 3 Power Plant. These include regular inspections, maintenance, and employee training. The company also works closely with local emergency responders to develop and practice emergency plans in case of any incidents at the plant.