AP Calculus AB Exam: Advice Needed

In summary, the conversation discusses the AP Calculus AB exam and the opinions of the participants on its difficulty and rigor. Some suggest that it is oversimplified but a good introduction to college calculus, while others recommend studying independently or using additional resources like Apostol's book for a more rigorous understanding. The conversation also mentions the availability of honors calculus courses and the importance of having a good teacher for success on the exam. Overall, the consensus is that the exam is relatively easy and can be passed with proper preparation and understanding of basic calculus concepts.
stakehoagy
Anybody taken the ap calculus ab exam? I'm taking the class right now, just curious to what you think about the exam. I expect it to be rather easy. ap calculus seems oversimplified. advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
stakehoagy said:
Anybody taken the ap calculus ab exam? I'm taking the class right now, just curious to what you think about the exam. I expect it to be rather easy. ap calculus seems oversimplified. advice?
It's oversimplified and not very rigorous. However it is a good intro into college calculus.

Last edited:
This forum hates the AP Calculus exam(s).

However, from my experience, if you get a proper teacher, the experience really is exactly like a standard Stewart Calculus course. Especially for the AB test

If your university offers an honors sequence of calculus, I would highly suggest considering it. Regardless of how you did on the AP test. But if your course will just be a standard one with hundreds of students learning out of Stewart, take the credit and move on

If you really would like to test you calculus knowledge, try reading apostol's book and if you can readily understand the concept presented than you will easily receive a score of 5 on the exam

Ah assuming the Ap exam hasn't changed dramatically over the years. Plug and chug away. I never understood how people didn't get a 5.

It's incredibly easy. After two weeks in my course, I obtained my permission to do the rest of the course as "independent study." I followed along at first, and though I'm not proud of it, I stopped doing everything for several months straight until about three or four days before the AP test. From there on I crammed everything I had missed for the next few days and ended up with a 5. If you can differentiate and integrate, you're pretty much set. I even left 1/3 blank on the calculator multiple choice section (I figured knowing where the integration key was was enough, but that sure wasn't true!) and one of the six short response questions completely blank. Easy test, AND a generous curve. (I guess I should add that even though I did well, half the people in the class still didn't pass. But this was an absolutely terrible teacher. A competent teacher will net you a passing grade easily.)

It's a good intro to calculus. From there you could go on to using Apostal to learn a fairly rigorous calculus

1. What is the format of the AP Calculus AB Exam?

The AP Calculus AB Exam consists of two sections: multiple-choice questions and free-response questions. The multiple-choice section has 45 questions and is 1 hour and 45 minutes long, while the free-response section has 6 questions and is 1 hour and 30 minutes long.

2. How should I prepare for the AP Calculus AB Exam?

To prepare for the AP Calculus AB Exam, it is important to review all the topics covered in the course, practice with past exams and sample questions, and familiarize yourself with the format of the exam. It is also recommended to seek help from teachers or tutors if needed.

3. What types of calculators are allowed on the AP Calculus AB Exam?

For the multiple-choice section, only certain models of graphing calculators are allowed. For the free-response section, a graphing calculator or a scientific calculator is allowed. However, all calculators must be approved by the College Board.

4. How is the AP Calculus AB Exam scored?

The multiple-choice section of the exam is scored on a scale of 1-5, with 1 being the lowest score and 5 being the highest. The free-response section is graded on a scale of 0-9, with 9 being the highest score. The scores from both sections are combined to determine the final score.

5. Are there any tips for tackling the AP Calculus AB Exam?

Some tips for tackling the AP Calculus AB Exam include reading and understanding each question carefully, showing all your work, and checking your answers for accuracy. It is also important to pace yourself and not spend too much time on one question. Lastly, don't forget to review and double-check your answers before submitting the exam.