Double major in computer science and math?

In summary, the person is currently majoring in computer science but is starting to like math. They have only taken calculus and plan to take Linear Algebra and Differential Equations next quarter. They are unsure about doing a double major because both majors require a lot of time. The person is considering taking an upper division math class over the summer and is wondering if it would be a waste of time. They are also unsure if they should take Linear Algebra or Intro to Analysis. The person is advised to try the class if they are considering a double major as it will give them an idea of what upper division math classes are like. It is also recommended to take an intro to proofs class first as it will be helpful for both math and computer science courses
bubbles
I'm currently majoring in computer science, though I'm starting to really like math. I've only taken calculus. I will take Linear Algebra and Differential Equations next quarter. It seems that most people who major in math dedicate a lot of time to that particular subject, but computer science classes are also very time consuming, so I'm not sure if it's a good idea to do a double major. How are upper division math classes like compared to lower division math classes? I'm thinking of taking http://sis.berkeley.edu/catalog/gcc_sso_search_sends_request?p_dept_name=MATHEMATICS&p_dept_cd=MATH&p_title=&p_number=74" class over the summer. Is it going to be a waste of time and should I just take a class that would actually count for major requirements? Then would it be better to take Linear Algebra or Intro to Analysis? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Linear algebra is, if I have understood correct, a cornerstone in computer science.

The course you plan to take over the summer seems like a standard introduction to writing proofs class. If you are thinking about a double major, you should attempt it. It will tell you if you will enjoy your upper level courses. Writing proofs, reading proofs, are what upper division classes tend to do most of the time.

Even if you don't like it, it can assist you when you have to prove your algorithm is the maximum result.

Would it be a good idea to take that class with an upper division math class? I've never taken classes that focus on rigorous proofs before though I do read proofs in my textbook (though there aren't that many of them). I've also never written any real proofs before. I'm not sure how much proofs my math classes next quarter will have.

I would take an intro to proofs class before any upper division classes, since they will assume that you know it (i.e. proof by contradiction, induction, etc.). It could also help you with your computer science. Complexity theory especially is very theorem-proof flavored.

1. What is a double major in computer science and math?

A double major in computer science and math is a program of study in which a student completes the requirements for both a computer science degree and a math degree. This typically involves taking a certain number of courses in each subject and fulfilling any other requirements set by the university.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a double major in computer science and math?

Some potential benefits of a double major in computer science and math include a well-rounded education in two complementary fields, increased job opportunities and earning potential, and the ability to apply mathematical concepts to computer science problems and vice versa.

3. Is it difficult to complete a double major in computer science and math?

This depends on the individual student and the specific requirements of the program. It may require a heavier course load and good time management skills, but it is certainly doable with dedication and hard work.

4. Can I still graduate in four years with a double major in computer science and math?

In most cases, yes. It is important to plan out your course schedule carefully and potentially take summer classes, but it is possible to complete the requirements for both majors within four years.

5. What career opportunities are available with a double major in computer science and math?

There are many career paths that a graduate with a double major in computer science and math can pursue. Some examples include data analyst, software engineer, financial analyst, actuary, and research scientist. The combination of technical skills and analytical thinking can be applied in a variety of industries and fields.