We have found a witch. May we burn her?

• Thread starter siddharth
  • Start date
In summary, Human Rights Watch has appealed to Saudi Arabia to halt the execution of a woman convicted of witchcraft. The illiterate woman was detained by religious police in 2005 and allegedly beaten and forced to fingerprint a confession that she could not read. Among her accusers was a man who alleged she made him impotent.
siddharth
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Human Rights Watch has appealed to Saudi Arabia to halt the execution of a woman convicted of witchcraft.

In a letter to King Abdullah, the rights group described the trial and conviction of Fawza Falih as a miscarriage of justice.

The illiterate woman was detained by religious police in 2005 and allegedly beaten and forced to fingerprint a confession that she could not read.

Among her accusers was a man who alleged she made him impotent.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7244579.stm

Really sad that some parts of the world still live in the dark ages.

Especially shocking is this bit.

When an appeal court decided she should not be executed, the law courts imposed the death sentence again, arguing that it would be in the public interest.

Public interest!?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does she weigh as much as a duck? If so, she's made of wood.

Heck yes, if you make me impotent I'm going to burn you too. Maybe burning is too kind of a punishment.

Whose side are you on! Siddharth is a witch!

Witch!
WITCH!

This same woman turned ME into a NEWT!

Okay, totally serious now, I agree it is too bad that some societies will still do this to someone... But it does make for some fun, now, doesn't it?

BTW, I got better...

I rather suspect that he began that way.
Shouldn't she get some sort of reward for saving a goat?

Why am I not surprised that this event is motivated by religion?

It's not religion. Same as the Jesus freaks in the USA. It's politics trying to disguise itself as religion. No established religion on the planet condones the kind of **** that people try to pull off under its umbrella.

Last edited:
Moridin said:
Why am I not surprised that this event is motivated by religion?
Religion turned you into a newt, did it?

Well, darn, just because she's ugly is no reason to burn her at the stake! :uhh: (I'm actually rather glad that someone who would accuse a woman of being a witch and want to execute her for it is impotent...we don't need any more of his prodigy running around.)

Damned straight! Evolution in action.

tribdog said:
Heck yes, if you make me impotent I'm going to burn you too. Maybe burning is too kind of a punishment.
Really ugly women can have that effect, can we burn them too??

Art, have you never heard of double-bagging? That's when she's so ugly that you put a paper bag over your own head in case hers falls off.

Danger said:
Art, have you never heard of double-bagging? That's when she's so ugly that you put a paper bag over your own head in case hers falls off.

:rofl: Not QUITE what came to mind when I read double-bagging, but that should work too.

Danger said:
So that's where I went wrong! I thought it was a paper bag for you and a plastic bag for her. Oops!

Well, if you're a necrophile, that would work out for you quite nicely.

Seems like there's legal precedent for this case.

On November 2, Saudi Arabia executed Mustafa Ibrahim for sorcery in Riyadh. Ibrahim, an Egyptian working as a pharmacist in the northern town of `Ar’ar, was found guilty of having tried “through sorcery” to separate a married couple, according to a Ministry of Interior statement.

http://hrw.org/english/docs/2008/02/14/saudia18051.htm

Danger said:
It's not religion. Same as the Jesus freaks in the USA. It's politics trying to disguise itself as religion.

In a way, it is partly religion too. This is what can happen when you base a judicial system on an interpretation of a religious text.

moe darklight said:
Whose side are you on!

Oh, just to make it clear, I'm obviously not suggesting that she be burnt. If you've seen Monty Python, you'd recognize the title.

Last edited:
siddharth said:
In a way, it is partly religion too. This is what can happen when you base a judicial system on an interpretation of a religious text.

Point taken, and it's a good one. How about a compromise that I think sums it up properly (although anyone is welcome to disagree)? Regardless of it being based upon religion or politics, it's about power.

Danger said:
Regardless of it being based upon religion or politics, it's about power.

Well, that's what I think politics and religion are primarily about anyway.

About power...yes, that's it. And how can a society disempower half its population -- the female half -- and think it can be equal with other societies on Earth?

A society can think whatever the populace will support. After all, the populace is the society. However afraid they might be of those in power, there are always enough of them to carry out an overthrow if they feel the need.
Which, by the bye, the US citizens should have done when that idiot 'W' stole the presidential position with the aid of his equally idiotic cousin in Florida. Everyone in the world knows that he lost that election, and nobody did anything about it.

Last edited:
Danger said:
It's not religion. Same as the Jesus freaks in the USA. It's politics trying to disguise itself as religion. No established religion on the planet condones the kind of **** that people try to pull off under its umbrella.

Exodus 22:18: "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live."

There are many passages in the Qur'an condemning witches as well. It was carried out by religious people. It was motivated by religious dogma that specifically includes the imperative to imprison and kill witches. It was carrier out by religious police in a devoutly religious society. Politics has nothing to do with it. It is all about religion.

Danger said:
Islam does. Islam is a religion.

Christianity did. Judaism did.

You are walking about with the positive, utterly unevidenced prejudice that religion is "essentially" benign or at least harmless.

I secretly think that the only reason we haven't been invited to join the galactic imperium is because the aliens know that all wars are religion based, so they are waiting until we grow out of the whole church thingie so that they can feel safe inviting us to have a couple pan galactic gargle blasters with them.

You are not alone in your secret thoughts. :smile:

I want a pangalactic gargle blaster, too!

arildno said:
Islam does. Islam is a religion.

Christianity did. Judaism did.

You are walking about with the positive, utterly unevidenced prejudice that religion is "essentially" benign or at least harmless.

Evil people use whatever is available. In Saudi Arabia they use religion because it is powerful in their society. If religion wasn't there, would evil people disappear? I don't think so. Religion isn't evil but it certainly can be used by evil people.

wildman said:
Evil people use whatever is available. In Saudi Arabia they use religion because it is powerful in their society. If religion wasn't there, would evil people disappear? I don't think so. Religion isn't evil but it certainly can be used by evil people.

arildno really has a point though, particularly in the case of Islam. The Koran directly prescribes death as punishment for a heck of a lot of things, not to mention the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadith" .)

So I would disagree with you and say that at least some parts of some religions are definitely evil. But I certainly agree with you that the absence of religion by no means equates to absence of evil. In particular there's the French Revolution type “We're so f▒▒▒ing rational we're going to guillotine all the f▒▒▒ing priests in France” kind of atheism, which I'm a bit worried is showing itself as resurgent with all of the militant atheism lately.

Last edited by a moderator:
wildman said:
Religion isn't evil

Prejudiced nonsense.

To go about thinking that someone deserves to burn forever just because he doesn't happen to share your view about how the world came into being, is an extremely sadistic and evil sentiment.

And it is part and parcel of Islam and many other religions.

And, mind you, the fear of hell on the individual level stunts the growth of that person since he doesn't dare to develop thoughts or desires that might plunge him into those flames.

Last edited:
arildno said:
Prejudiced nonsense.
Even if your assessment is correct, it's better than torching a strawman. :tongue:

1. Who is the "we" referring to in this statement?

The "we" refers to the group of people who have allegedly found a witch and are considering burning her as a form of punishment.

2. How do you determine if someone is a witch?

In this context, it is likely that the determination of whether someone is a witch is based on superstitions and false accusations rather than any scientific or factual evidence.

3. Why would someone want to burn a witch?

In the past, witch burning was often used as a form of punishment for those accused of practicing witchcraft, which was seen as a threat to society. This practice was fueled by fear and ignorance.

4. Is burning someone at the stake an effective way of dealing with witchcraft?

No, burning someone at the stake is not an effective way of dealing with witchcraft. It is a cruel and inhumane practice that has no scientific basis and does not address the underlying issues that may have led to the accusations of witchcraft.

5. Is witchcraft real?

There is no scientific evidence to support the existence of witchcraft or supernatural powers. Belief in witchcraft is often based on superstition and cultural beliefs, rather than empirical evidence.