Exploring Medical Physics: Is it Boring? Advice from a Grad School Applicant"

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of medical physics and graduate programs in this field. The individual is seeking advice and expresses concerns about the lack of physics-intensive courses in the programs. They also mention wanting to avoid the political aspect of working in a hospital setting. The conversation clarifies that medical physics covers two main areas, diagnostic imaging and radiation therapy, and that graduate programs focus on applying physics knowledge to medical problems. It is suggested to look into current research in medical physics and to be prepared to deal with politics in any field.
squanto_huge
Hi all. Thank you in advance for your advice. Long time lurker, first-time poster.

It seems I have the ideal resume for going into medical physics for grad school but I look at the grad programs and see nothing physics-intensive at all. As a matter of fact, I've used almost every text already in undergrad! I planned on going into research to avoid the political BS of a hospital and I always thought I'd be using things I learned in QM and E&M there, but now I'm not sure if that really makes sense.

My question is, has anyone had any research experience in this area? What are the good/bad parts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Around here, "medical physics" means something very specific- radiation dosimetry. Do you mean something more general, as in biomedical research?

I mean medical physics. What the AAPM oversees. Radiation dosimetry is a large part of it, yeah.

Medical physics graduate programs aren't intended to teach you more physics. By and large all the physics you'll ever need to know for medical physics you've already attained in undergrad. What you're supposed to learn is how to apply the physics you've learned to problems in medicine and work in either research or in a clinical setting.

Medical physics covers two broad areas, diagnostic imaging and radiation therapy. The program you choose will depend on what area you want to go into. In both, you'll learn about radiation dosimetry, radiobiology, radiation safety. In a diagnostic program you'll also learn about all the imaging modalities. In a therapy program, it will be all about radiation therapy (linear accelerators, brachytherapy, treatment planning, etc). A good graduate program will also expose you to clinical work too.

Take a gander through Medical Physics or Physics in Medicine and Biology to get an idea of some of the current research going on in the medical physics world.

As for the politics, you're going to have to deal with that in whatever field you work in. Hospital politics isn't any different from any other politics. Besides, the very nature of medical physics means you're never going to be able to avoid a hospital setting, even in research.

1. What is medical physics?

Medical physics is a branch of physics that applies principles and concepts of physics to the diagnosis and treatment of human diseases. It involves the use of technology, such as X-rays and radiation therapy, to improve patient outcomes.

2. What are the job responsibilities of a medical physicist?

A medical physicist is responsible for ensuring the safe and effective use of radiation in medicine. This includes calibrating and maintaining equipment, designing treatment plans for patients, and conducting quality assurance checks to ensure accurate and safe delivery of treatments.

3. Why is medical physics considered boring?

Medical physics may be considered boring because it involves a lot of technical and scientific knowledge, which can be overwhelming for some people. Additionally, the work can be repetitive and tedious at times.

4. What skills are required to become a medical physicist?

To become a medical physicist, one needs a strong understanding of physics, mathematics, and biology. Excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills are also necessary, as well as the ability to work with complex equipment and data.

5. Is there room for career advancement in medical physics?

Yes, there is plenty of room for career advancement in medical physics. With experience and advanced education, medical physicists can move into management or supervisory roles, or even pursue research and development opportunities in the field.