Principal axes/inertia tensor

• Thread starter bman!!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tensor
In summary, the conversation involves a problem with calculating the inertia tensor for a system of three equal masses positioned at specific coordinates. The speaker is confused about how one of the principal axes can be the x-axis when the center of mass does not lie on that axis. They are able to get the correct answers for the other principal axes through diagonalization, but struggle with the physical meaning behind the x-axis being a principal axis. It is suggested that the issue may be due to the reference point being used for calculating the moments of inertia.
bman!!
problem:

three equal masses connected by light rods, the masses are positioned at (a,0,0), (0,a,2a) and (0,2a, a) now i work out all the products, and moments of inertia to get the inertia tensor, the thing that is baffling me is how you can have Ixx = 10ma^2, with all off diagonal products of x (Ixy, Ixz,) equal to zero. this clearly shows that one of the principal axes is the x - axis, but i don't see how this can be the case when the centre of mass clearly doesn't lie on the x axis(im picturing a triangle with a point on the x axis, and its base in the zy plane). unless this result simply means one of the principle axis is parrallel to the x axis?

its just kinda weird

help?

i actually get the right answers, and i understand that for the rest of the tensor (Iyy, Izz, Iyz) its a diagonalisation problem to find the other principle axes for this shape/orientation. its just i have issue with the physical meaning of what going on here with the x axis.

cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
if its not very clear, ill happily post stuff/files whatever to make it clearer.

I assume you're evaluating the tensor with reference to the coordinates with respect to which the masses have the positions you named. That means that the COM is not at the origin (as you noted), so you can't get a principle axis that goes through the COM - well, you could if one of them happened to run through the origin and the COM.

I think what you have is as you suspected, the axis going through your origin that is parallel to one of the principle axes through the COM - kind of like what you do when using the parallel axis theorem.

To put it another way, moments of inertia are always defined with reference to a center of rotation, and since you're working in the given coordinates, the results you get will be referenced to that center.

Hope that helped ... it didn't feel very coherent! Maybe someone else will offer a better explanation.

What is the significance of principal axes/inertia tensor in physics?

The principal axes and inertia tensor are important concepts in physics because they help us understand and predict the rotational motion of a rigid body. They provide information about the distribution of mass within an object and how it affects its rotational behavior.

How are principal axes and inertia tensor related?

The principal axes of a rigid body are the three mutually perpendicular axes that pass through its center of mass. The inertia tensor is a mathematical representation of the distribution of mass around these axes. It contains information about the moments of inertia, which are measures of the body's resistance to rotational motion around each principal axis.

How is the inertia tensor calculated?

The inertia tensor is calculated by integrating the mass of each infinitesimal element within a rigid body, multiplied by the square of its distance from the principal axes. This calculation is typically done using either analytical or numerical methods.

What is the physical significance of the principal axes?

The principal axes of a rigid body represent the directions in which the body has the largest and smallest moments of inertia. This means that the body will have the greatest resistance to rotation around the axes with the largest moments of inertia, and the least resistance to rotation around the axes with the smallest moments of inertia.

Can the principal axes change for a rigid body?

Yes, the principal axes of a rigid body can change depending on its orientation and the distribution of mass within the body. However, the moments of inertia around each principal axis will remain constant, regardless of the body's orientation.