Young's double slit experiment (prob density)

Broken]As I said before, there is no need to relate the probability density to the interference pattern. The question simply asks you to derive the fringe separation using the results obtained in part (a). This can be done without using the probability density.In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving finding the probability density at point D and relating it to the interference maxima equation. The conversation covers steps for finding the probability density and how it is related to the interference equation. The final solution involves deriving the fringe separation without using the probability density.
4?

Physics news on Phys.org
t_n_p said:
4?
You're getting closer, look at the equation.

4|a|²?

Don't know how it helps though..

t_n_p said:
4|a|²?

Don't know how it helps though..
Correct :approve:! So a maxima occurs when,

[tex]\rho = 4|A^2| = 4|A^2|\cos^2\left(\frac{\varphi}{2}\right)[/tex]

But how do I get anything remotely looking like dsin(θ) = mλ?

t_n_p said:
But how do I get anything remotely looking like dsin(θ) = mλ?
How do you think your going to do it? What is the defintion of [itex]\varphi[/itex]? How does that relate to the wavelength? How does it relate to the maximum value of [itex]\rho[/itex]?

Come on t_n_p, I'm not going to walk you through the whole question, you're going to have to think for yourself at some point.

[itex]\varphi[/itex] is the wavefunction and relates to the wavelength in some way I don't know. Probability density, roh is the wavefunction multiplied by its complex conjugate.

if [itex]\rho[/itex] max is 4|A|², max of wavefunction is 16|A|^4?

t_n_p said:
[itex]\varphi[/itex] is the wavefunction and relates to the wavelength in some way I don't know. Probability density, roh is the wavefunction multiplied by its complex conjugate.
No, [itex]\varphi[/itex] is not the wavefunction. Read the question.

ok, phase difference = mλ where where m = 0, 1, 2, 3, 4...

can't find anything about the phase difference/prob density relationship though..

Yes, [itex]\varphi[/itex] is the phase difference. To add a little more explanation; as I said previously, a maxima occurs when [itex]\rho[/itex] is maximal, or when,

[tex]\cos\left(\frac{\varphi}{2}\right) = 1 \Rightarrow \frac{\varphi}{2} = n\pi \hspace{1cm}n\in\mathhbb{Z}[/tex]

So a maxima occurs when the phase difference between the two waves is,

[tex]\varphi = 2n\pi \hspace{1cm}n\in\mathbb{Z}[/tex]

which corresponds to a complete wavelength, which is the expression you stated above. Now, this is the RHS of the equation we are attempting to derive, so we're half way there. Next, you need to work out how the relate the angle of the maxima to the wavelength. To do this, try working out the path difference between the two waves, notice that their paths are parallel until they interfere.