Understanding Snapshot and History Graphs for Waves

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with understanding snapshot and history graphs, specifically in relation to a figure of a moving wave. The original poster and another individual both come to the same conclusion, which is different from the answer provided in the textbook. The book's author is Randall D. Knight.
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

asnapshot.jpg
figure is asnapshot.jpg
aasnapshot.jpg
correct & incorrect graphs is aasnapshot.jpg

Draw the history graph D(x=0m, t) at x= 0m for the wave shown in the figure.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite understanding the concept of snapshot and history graphs. I think for this one the problem is that is is moving left. The graph that I drew is the wrong one. Here was my reasoning: In the figure, the graph is moving left, so shouldn't the leftmost point on the wave hit the point first? If at t=2 s this leftmost point is 1m away from x=0, then it takes 1 sec for it to arrive, so at t=3. I don't think I am visualizing this at all correctly. Could someone please explain to me why the graph on the bottom is correct? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I am confused and this is really bothering me.

bcjochim07 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite understanding the concept of snapshot and history graphs. I think for this one the problem is that is is moving left. The graph that I drew is the wrong one. Here was my reasoning: In the figure, the graph is moving left, so shouldn't the leftmost point on the wave hit the point first?
Yes.

If at t=2 s this leftmost point is 1m away from x=0, then it takes 1 sec for it to arrive, so at t=3.
Yes, nothing happens (at x=0 m) until t = 3 sec.

I don't think I am visualizing this at all correctly. Could someone please explain to me why the graph on the bottom is correct? Thanks!

It's not correct. At x = 0, D is 0 until t=3 sec. The graph labeled "wrong" looks like the right one to me.

Yeah, see I'm having problems because there are a couple problems like this in my textbook where my drawings are completely off from what the back of the book has, so I was worried that I was not understanding this at all.

Wow. What's the name of this book, and the authors? Looks like you understand it better than they do!

My answer is the same as the original poster's..please, what are we doing wrong?!??!

Welcome to Physics Forums :smile:

You and the OP did it right, the book has it wrong.

What is the name of this book and its author?

The book's called Physics for Scientists and Engineers: A Strategic Approach (2nd ed.), Vol 3, and the author is Randall D. Knight. I also got the same answer as the OP. So the book is wrong and the OP is right?

Welcome to PF :smile:

Klorey said:
The book's called Physics for Scientists and Engineers: A Strategic Approach (2nd ed.), Vol 3, and the author is Randall D. Knight. I also got the same answer as the OP. So the book is wrong and the OP is right?
You are correct.

And thank you for answering my question :biggrin:

No problem :smile: Thanks for the help (and the fast reply)!

I have the 6th edition of this book and the answer in the answer key is still wrong...

1. What are "Snapshot & History Graphs"?

"Snapshot & History Graphs" are visual representations of data that show the current state of a system or process, as well as its historical changes over time. They are commonly used in scientific research to analyze trends and patterns in data.

2. What is the purpose of using "Snapshot & History Graphs" in scientific research?

The purpose of using "Snapshot & History Graphs" in scientific research is to visually represent complex data in a simple and easy-to-understand format. This allows researchers to identify trends and patterns that may not be apparent when looking at the raw data.

3. How are "Snapshot & History Graphs" different from other types of graphs?

"Snapshot & History Graphs" are unique in that they combine both current and historical data in a single graph. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the data and its changes over time, rather than just a snapshot of the current state.

4. What are some common types of "Snapshot & History Graphs" used in scientific research?

Some common types of "Snapshot & History Graphs" used in scientific research include line graphs, bar graphs, and scatter plots. Each type of graph has its own unique strengths and is used to analyze different types of data.

5. How can "Snapshot & History Graphs" be used to make predictions or draw conclusions in scientific research?

"Snapshot & History Graphs" can be used to make predictions or draw conclusions in scientific research by analyzing the trends and patterns shown in the data. By looking at historical changes and current data, researchers can make informed predictions about future trends or draw conclusions about the data being studied.