Calculating equilibrium constant rules

In summary, The equilibrium constant for the reaction CH3COOH + NO2- = CH3COO- + HNO2 can be found by multiplying the acid dissociation constants Ka1 and 1/Ka2. However, it is important to note that Ka*Kb=Kw and the indices may change when rearranging the Ka expressions for the acids.
kasse

Homework Statement

Find the eq. constant for the reaction

CH3COOH (aq) + NO2- (aq) = CH3COO- (aq) + HNO2 (aq)

The Attempt at a Solution

I find Ka for the reaction CH3COOH = CH3COO- + H+ and Kb for the reaction NO2- + H+ = HNO2

But what are the rules then? I try multiplying the constants, but this does not give the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
kasse said:

Homework Statement

Find the eq. constant for the reaction

CH3COOH (aq) + NO2- (aq) = CH3COO- (aq) + HNO2 (aq)

write the K expression for this equilibrium

then compare it to the Ka expressions for both CH3CO2H AND HNO2

I managed to find the correct solution by multiplying Ka1 and the 1/Ka2. Is 1/Ka2 the same av Kb?

kasse said:
I managed to find the correct solution by multiplying Ka1 and the 1/Ka2. Is 1/Ka2 the same av Kb?

Did you just happen to work out the numbers and find the right answer or did you see that rearranging the Ka expressions for the acids gave Ka(CH3CO2)/Ka(HNO2) which was equal to the K expression for the original equilibrium?

1. What is the formula for calculating equilibrium constant?

The equilibrium constant (Kc) is calculated by dividing the concentration of products by the concentration of reactants, with each concentration raised to the power of its coefficient in the balanced chemical equation. This can also be written as Kc = [C]c[D]d / [A]a[B]b.

2. How do I know if a reaction is at equilibrium?

If a reaction is at equilibrium, the concentrations of the reactants and products will remain constant over time. This means that the forward and reverse reactions are occurring at the same rate, and the concentrations of all substances involved are not changing.

3. Can the equilibrium constant (Kc) change?

The equilibrium constant is determined by the temperature of the reaction and the specific reactants and products involved. Therefore, it can change if any of these factors are altered. However, at a given temperature, the equilibrium constant remains constant.

4. What is the relationship between equilibrium constant and reaction quotient?

The reaction quotient (Q) is calculated in the same way as the equilibrium constant, but with current concentrations instead of equilibrium concentrations. If Q is less than Kc, the reaction will proceed forward to reach equilibrium. If Q is greater than Kc, the reaction will proceed in the reverse direction. When Q is equal to Kc, the reaction is at equilibrium.

5. How does changing the concentration or pressure of a substance affect the equilibrium constant?

According to Le Chatelier's principle, if the concentration or pressure of a substance is increased, the reaction will shift in the direction that reduces the concentration or pressure. This will result in a change in the equilibrium constant. However, if the temperature remains constant, the equilibrium constant will remain constant as well.