Frequency of Horn: Solving Doppler Equation

• Thread starter European Sens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Doppler's equation to calculate the frequency of a sound wave when a train is moving relative to a detector. The first question involves a train moving away from the detector at a velocity of 29 m/s and the second question involves a train moving away from another train at a velocity of 15.6 m/s. The correct answers for both questions are 322.7 Hz and 309.72 Hz, respectively. The conversation also includes a discussion on how to calculate the relative velocity between two trains.
European Sens
There are two questions here:

1st is...

The velocity of sound in air is 343 m/s. A train moving away from a detector at 29 m/s blows a 350 Hz horn. What frequency is detected by a stationary train?

I got the correct answer of 322.7 using dopplers equation.

Now part 2 is...

What frequency is detected by a train moving away from the first train at a speed of 15.6 m/s?

Plugging in ---->

f' = [350*343] / [343+15.6] = 334.77

It seems correct to me, but when I submitted my answer online I was incorrect.

Please help! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try and imagine how fast train number two is moving away from train number one i.e. work out train number one's velocity relative to train number two and use that in the equation.

well train # 1 is going 29 m/s and train # 2 is going 15.6 m/s in opposite directions... that I know.

So do I add 29 + 15.6 to get 44.6 m/s away from each other...

which when plugged in is:
f' = [350*343] / [343+44.6] = 309.72

Please advice. Thank you.

Does my logic seem correct. Please lead me in the right direction. Thanks once again.

Yes that looks right, is it not the right answer?

1. What is the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect is a phenomenon where the frequency of a sound wave appears to change when the source of the sound is moving relative to the observer. This can result in a higher frequency when the source is moving towards the observer, and a lower frequency when the source is moving away from the observer.

2. How does the Doppler effect apply to horn frequencies?

The Doppler effect can be used to determine the frequency of a horn as it is moving relative to an observer. This is important in applications such as Doppler radar, where changes in frequency can indicate the speed of an object.

3. What is the Doppler equation?

The Doppler equation is a mathematical formula that relates the observed frequency of a sound wave to the frequency of the source, the speed of the source, and the speed of sound in the medium. It can be used to calculate the frequency of a horn as it is moving towards or away from an observer.

4. How is the Doppler equation used to solve for the frequency of a horn?

To solve for the frequency of a horn using the Doppler equation, the speed of the source (in this case, the speed of the horn), the speed of sound in the medium, and the observed frequency must be known. The equation can then be rearranged to solve for the frequency of the horn.

5. What factors can affect the frequency of a horn based on the Doppler equation?

The frequency of a horn can be affected by the speed of the horn, the speed of sound in the medium, and the relative motion between the horn and the observer. Additionally, factors such as air temperature and humidity can also affect the speed of sound and therefore, the frequency of the horn as determined by the Doppler equation.