Solving Work and Energy Questions: Skier of Mass 67kg

• Thread starter islanderman7
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of work required to pull a skier of mass 67 kg up a slope at a constant speed of 1.7 m/s. The calculation involves using the equation W = F cos(Theta) (Delta y), where F is the force, Theta is the angle of the slope, and Delta y is the vertical distance. However, the person solving the problem realizes that the directional thinking is incorrect and needs to be adjusted to find the correct answer. The use of equations is important, but it is also necessary to understand where they come from in order to solve problems accurately.
islanderman7

Homework Statement

A skier of mass 67 kg is pulled up a slope by a motor-driven cable.
(a) How much work is required to pull him 40 m up a 30° slope (assumed frictionless) at a constant speed of 1.7 m/s?

m= 67kg
Delta y= 40m
Theta= 30 degrees
v= 1.7m/s

Homework Equations

I know that:

F=ma
W= F cos(Theta) (Delta y)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am solving for the force:
F=ma
F= 67 (1.7)
F= 113.9 N/m

With F solved I use my Work Equation:
W= F cos(Theta)(Delta y)
W= 113.9 (cos30) (40)
W= 3945.61 J
W= 3900 J

My answer differs from the correct answer by 10% to 100%

What am I doing wrong? Am I using the wrong equations?

Physics news on Phys.org
So you know that he has to be pulled up a distance of 40*sin(30). Work is the force times the component of the directional change projected onto the force (i.e. [itex]F \cdot \Delta s[/itex]). Where does this lead you? (Hint: your directional thinking is wrong.)

Don't just use equations, know where they come from. Yes, it's hard if it's your first time, but you really can't just plug and chug and expect to get away it.

Your equations and approach seem to be correct. The difference in your answer may be due to rounding errors or slight variations in the given values. It is also possible that the correct answer was calculated using more precise values or a different method. It would be helpful to double check your calculations and also consider any assumptions or approximations made in the problem.

1. How do you calculate the work done by the skier?

The work done by the skier can be calculated by multiplying the force applied by the skier by the distance they travel. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is the work done, F is the force, and d is the distance. In this case, the force would be the weight of the skier, which is equal to their mass (67kg) multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

2. How can you determine the skier's potential energy?

The potential energy of the skier can be determined by using the equation PE = mgh, where PE is the potential energy, m is the mass of the skier, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height at which the skier is located. This equation takes into account the gravitational potential energy of the skier due to their position above the ground.

3. What is the formula for calculating the skier's kinetic energy?

The formula for calculating the skier's kinetic energy is KE = 1/2mv², where KE is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the skier, and v is their velocity. This equation represents the energy that the skier possesses due to their motion.

4. How do you use the conservation of energy principle to solve work and energy questions involving the skier?

The conservation of energy principle states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In the case of the skier, this means that the skier's initial potential energy (due to their position on the slope) is converted into kinetic energy (due to their motion down the slope). The total amount of energy remains constant throughout the skier's journey, and this principle can be used to solve for unknown variables.

5. Can you determine the skier's acceleration using work and energy calculations?

Yes, the skier's acceleration can be determined using work and energy calculations. This can be done by using the equation F = ma, where F is the force applied to the skier, m is their mass, and a is their acceleration. In this case, the force applied to the skier would be their weight (mg) and the acceleration can be calculated using the formula F = ma. This can then be used to solve for the unknown variable, a.