Spherical pendulum, linear approximation?

In summary, the pendulum has a displacement (r) compared to the length (L). The gravitational force causes a resulting force (according to the drawing), which is shown in equation: F_r=-F_G \sin(\theta)=Mg\sin(s/L). If the angle theta is small, and that is the case, because L >> r, then the displacement on the cirular arc s is approximately equal to the horizontal deplacement, called r (the circle's bending nearly disappears for small distances). Then, you can also use the approach for small angles, that sin(theta) is approximately equal to theta itself. The differential equation is: \frac{d^2 r}{dt
clumsy9irl
Hello there. I'm currently dead beat on this problem, maybe because I'm not sure I quite understand what it's asking (I'm taking my upper level mechanics course in germany, and I don't have any books, and it's the second week, and I'm up at 4am with 2 problem sets due tomorrow, each half done. ahhh!)

Anyway, here's what I interpret:

A pendulum of length L and mass M is in a Gravitationalfield, where it is displaced by a small angle, theta and is lightly nudged. The displacement r is small in comparison to the length, L (r << L). Here, let the motion be treated in the horizontal plane.

a) What are the equations of motion in cartesian coordinates? (hinte: write the gravitational forces on the mass in spherical coordinates, then use the approximation r <<L)

These equations of motion are equivalent to which already known problems?

b) Show that the mass traces out an elliptical pth. Solve here the equations of motion.

I'm lost. I've been working on these sets all day (and since Tuesday, when I had another one due), and I'm just.. my brain is fried.

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

at first, you need a drawing showing the relevant forces:

fadenp5.gif

Due to the displacement of the pendulum, the gravitational force causes a resulting force (according to the drawing):

[tex]F_r=-F_G \sin(\theta)=Mg\sin(s/L)[/tex]

where s is the displacement on the circular arc (because of the definition of radian).

If the angle theta is small, and that is the case, because L >> r, then the displacement on the cirular arc s is approximately equal to the horizontal deplacement, called r (the circle's bending nearly disappears for small distances). Then, you can also use the approach for small angles, that sin(theta) is approximately equal to theta itself.

The formula changes to:

[tex]F_r=-Mg\frac{r}{L}[/tex]

Newton gave us the coherence F = ma (a = F/m):

[tex]a=-g\frac{r}{L}[/tex]

Further, we now the following coherence:

[tex]a=\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{d^2 r}{dt^2}[/tex]

So, we have the differential equation:

[tex]\frac{d^2 r}{dt^2}=-\frac{g}{L}r[/tex]

That reminds us of the harmonical oscillator and we solve the equation as follows:

[tex]r(t)=r_0\cos(\omega t)[/tex]

[tex]v(t)=-\omega r_0\sin(\omega t)[/tex]

[tex]a(t)=-\omega^2 r_0\cos(\omega t)[/tex]

We need the previous formula to get omega:

[tex]\frac{d^2 r}{dt^2}=-\frac{g}{L}r[/tex]

[tex]a=-\frac{g}{L}r[/tex]

[tex]-\omega^2 r_0\cos(\omega t)=-\frac{g}{L}r_0\cos(\omega t)[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\omega=\sqrt{\frac{g}{L}}[/tex]

As [tex]\omega=2\pi f[/tex]: [tex]T=\frac{1}{f}=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{g}{L}}[/tex]

Okay, I hope that was enough to make sure that you can make the rest by yourself.

Bye
Site

Site winder you help people out so much. Thanks.

1. What is a spherical pendulum?

A spherical pendulum is a physical system that consists of a mass suspended from a pivot point, allowing it to swing freely in any direction. It is often used as a model for studying the motion of celestial bodies such as planets and moons.

2. How is a spherical pendulum different from a traditional pendulum?

A traditional pendulum swings in a single plane, while a spherical pendulum is free to swing in any direction due to its pivot point being able to move in three-dimensional space. This allows for more complex and interesting motion patterns.

3. What is the linear approximation for a spherical pendulum?

The linear approximation for a spherical pendulum is a simplification of its motion, assuming that the amplitude of its swing is small. This allows for the use of linear equations to describe its behavior, making it easier to analyze and understand.

4. What are the limitations of the linear approximation for a spherical pendulum?

The linear approximation is only accurate for small amplitude swings and does not take into account the effects of air resistance or friction. It also does not accurately represent the motion of a spherical pendulum when the pivot point is not perfectly fixed.

5. How can the linear approximation be useful in studying a spherical pendulum?

The linear approximation allows for simplified analysis and calculation of the motion of a spherical pendulum. It can also provide insight into the behavior of more complex systems, such as celestial bodies, and aid in the development of more accurate models. Additionally, it can be useful in designing and testing physical systems that involve pendulum-like motion.