Can Computers Generate Random Numbers?

In summary, computers are not capable of generating truly random numbers, as they rely on algorithms and seed numbers. However, quantum computers may have the potential to generate truly random numbers due to the inherent uncertainties in quantum mechanics. Additionally, some physical devices, such as the Araneus Alea I USB True Random Number Generator, use reverse biased semiconductor junctions to generate high-quality true random numbers.
flotsam
Simple question: Can computers create 'truly' random numbers?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you have to play the "define random" game to get a good answer.

But simply put, no computer today can get a truly random number. They are all "pseudo random", which means you take a seed number (like, the amount of milliseconds passed since midnight) and run it through a one way hash.

Quantum computers might be able to do it, due to inherent uncertainties in QM, which suggests you can get a truly random seed. How that would work technically, I am not sure.

If you happen to believe in determinism on all scales, then there is no such thing as a random number. It simply cannot be made.

k

NO, but see this physical random number generator:

The Araneus Alea I USB True Random Number Generator is a compact USB device that generates high-quality true random numbers.
The Alea I uses a reverse biased semiconductor junction to generate wide-band Gaussian white noise. This noise is amplified and digitized using an analog-to-digital converter.

http://www.araneus.fi/products-alea-eng.html

1. How do computers generate random numbers?

Computers use algorithms to generate random numbers based on a seed value. This seed value is typically generated from a source of randomness, such as the current time or user input. The algorithm then uses complex mathematical operations to generate a sequence of seemingly random numbers.

2. Are computer-generated random numbers truly random?

No, computer-generated random numbers are not truly random. They are pseudo-random, meaning that they appear to be random but are actually generated by a predetermined sequence of mathematical operations. However, for most practical purposes, these numbers are considered random enough.

3. Can computers generate the same random number twice?

Technically, yes. Since computer-generated random numbers are based on a seed value, if the same seed value is used, the same sequence of "random" numbers will be generated. However, the likelihood of this happening is extremely low, and with a good algorithm and a large enough seed space, the chances of getting the same number twice are practically impossible.

4. How can I generate truly random numbers on a computer?

To generate truly random numbers on a computer, you would need to use a hardware random number generator (RNG). This is a device that uses physical processes, such as atmospheric noise or radioactive decay, to generate truly random numbers. These numbers can then be fed into a computer for use in applications that require a high level of randomness.

5. Can I trust computer-generated random numbers for important applications?

It depends on the application and the quality of the random number generator being used. For most everyday applications, computer-generated random numbers are considered reliable enough. However, for applications that require a high level of security, such as encryption, it is recommended to use a hardware RNG for truly random numbers.