Confused with flow rate of water

In summary, Bernoulli's law states that the work done, given by pV, where p is the pressure, V is the change in volume, is equal to the change in kinetic energy, 1/2mv^2. This means that the flow rate of the liquid is proportionate to the root of the pressure applied. If it is so, why is it that by Poiseuille's law of flow, E = (pi)r4pt/8Vl, that the rate of flow is proportionate to the pressure applied? Viscosity is friction. Potential Energy is not conserved. hmmm, i knew that, but, now i am designing a experiment and i do not know how
Koveras00
By Bernoulli's law, if potential energy is constant, the work done, given by pV, where p is the pressure, V is the change in volume, is equal to the change in kinetic energy, 1/2mv^2.

Does that mean that the flow rate of the liquid is proportionate to the root of the pressure applied??

If it is so, why is it that by Poiseuille's law of flow, E = (pi)r4pt/8Vl,

E is the viscosity of the flowing liquid, t is the time for which the liquid flows, V is the volume of liquid which flows in that time, r is the radius of the pipe, and l is the length of the pipe,

that the rate of flow is proportionate to the pressure applied??

Physics news on Phys.org
Viscosity is friction. Potential Energy is not conserved.

hmmm, i knew that, but, now i am designing a experiment and i do not know how to relate pressure to the flow rate of a liquid. What i am asking is that which formulae shld i use?? Since, both of them gave mi different proportionality, i can't possibly refer to both of them...

The reason your Bernoulli result and your Poiseuille result aren't agreeing is that Bernoulli's equation assumes non-viscous flow.

Poiseuille's flow equation comes from some application of the Navier-Stokes equations to the laminar velocity profile in a circular pipe. Poiseuille's law is given by:

[tex]Q=\frac{\pi R^4 \Delta p}{8 \mu L}[/tex]

Q is the volumetric flow rate, R is the pipe radius, [itex]\Delta p[/itex] is the pressure drop, [itex]\mu[/itex] is the dynamic viscosity, and L is the length of the pipe.

This result is only valid for laminar flow in a circular pipe (it also ignores the roughness of the pipe). Therefore, once you calculate a flow rate, you should also calculate a Reynolds number and see that it is less than 2100. The Reynolds number is given as:

[tex]Re=\frac{\rho V D}{\mu}[/tex]

Re is the Reynolds number (a dimensionless parameter), [itex]\rho[/itex] is the fluid density, V is the flow velocity, and D is the pipe diameter. V=Q/A, where A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe.

If you find that the Reynolds number is between 2100 and 4000, then the flow is called transitional. If it is greater than 4000, the flow is considered turbulent. You might get away with applying Poiseuille in the transitional case, but in the turbulent region, there are more complicated results from Fluid Mechanics that you should apply. Any introductory text should be more than enough to help you out.

Edited for LaTeX errors, and fixing R^2 to R^4 in Poiseuille's equation.

Last edited:

What is the definition of flow rate?

Flow rate is the volume of fluid passing through a given cross-sectional area over a specific period of time. It is typically measured in units of liters per second or cubic meters per hour.

How is flow rate related to water velocity?

Flow rate and water velocity are directly proportional. This means that as the flow rate increases, so does the water velocity. Conversely, as the flow rate decreases, the water velocity also decreases.

What factors affect flow rate of water?

The flow rate of water can be affected by a variety of factors, including the diameter of the pipe or channel, the viscosity of the fluid, the pressure of the fluid, and any obstructions or changes in the flow path.

How is flow rate measured?

Flow rate can be measured using various methods, such as using a flow meter, a timed volume test, or by calculating the velocity and cross-sectional area of the flow. The appropriate method will depend on the specific situation and accuracy needed.

What is the significance of understanding flow rate of water?

Understanding flow rate of water is crucial in many industries, such as water treatment, irrigation, and plumbing. It allows for efficient and effective use of water resources, as well as proper maintenance and troubleshooting of systems that rely on fluid flow.