Twice differentiable functions

In summary: It was a little difficult to follow your methods, but I eventually was able to work it out. In summary, Dick was able to provide a solution to the problem using the Mean Value Theorem and the Intermediate Value Theorem.
JamesF
Hi all. Having a little trouble on this week's problem set. Perhaps one of you might be able to provide some insight.

Homework Statement

[tex] f:[a,b] \rightarrow \mathbb{R} [/tex] is continuous and twice differentiable on (a,b). If f(a)=f(b)=0 and f(c) > 0 for some [tex] c \in (a,b) [/tex] then [tex] \exists \gamma \in (a,b) [/tex] s.t. [tex] f \prime \prime (\gamma) < 0 [/tex]

Homework Equations

Rolle's Theorem, MVT, Intermediate Value Theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to approach the problem. I'm assuming you would apply Rolle's theorem or the Mean Value Theorem, or perhaps the Intermediate Value Property to the problem in order to obtain the solution.

With those theorems we can infer that [tex]\exists \theta [/tex] st [tex] f \prime (\theta) = 0 [/tex]
f(c) > 0 so there must be points u,v st f'(u) > 0 and f'(v) < 0

but none of that really gives me any info on the second derivative, which is what I need. I'm sure I'm overlooking something simple as usual, but if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the MVT on the intervals [a,c] and [c,b]. So, yes, there is a u in (a,c) and a v in (c,b) such that f'(u)>0 and f'(v)<0. Now apply the MVT to f'(x) on the interval [u,v]. The second derivative is the derivative of the first.

Dick said:
Look at the MVT on the intervals [a,c] and [c,b]. So, yes, there is a u in (a,c) and a v in (c,b) such that f'(u)>0 and f'(v)<0. Now apply the MVT to f'(x) on the interval [u,v]. The second derivative is the derivative of the first.

thank you very much Dick. You've been extremely helpful as always. I was able to get the answer.

1. What is a twice differentiable function?

A twice differentiable function is a type of mathematical function that can be differentiated twice, meaning it has a continuous second derivative. This indicates that the rate of change of the function is itself changing at a constant rate.

2. What is the difference between a once and twice differentiable function?

A once differentiable function has a continuous first derivative, meaning it can be differentiated once. A twice differentiable function has a continuous second derivative, meaning it can be differentiated twice. This means that a twice differentiable function is smoother and more regular than a once differentiable function.

3. How can you tell if a function is twice differentiable?

A function is twice differentiable if its second derivative exists and is continuous. This means that the function must have a continuous first derivative, and the first derivative must also have a continuous derivative. You can check this by taking the derivative of the function twice and ensuring that the result is still a continuous function.

4. What are some common examples of twice differentiable functions?

Some common examples of twice differentiable functions include polynomials, exponential functions, and trigonometric functions. These functions are smooth and regular, making them easy to differentiate multiple times.

5. Why is the concept of twice differentiability important?

The concept of twice differentiability is important because it allows us to analyze functions in more detail and make predictions about their behavior. It also allows us to find the inflection points of a function, which are points where the concavity changes. This is useful in optimization problems and understanding the behavior of functions in various applications.