Range of Projectile from Trebuchet

In summary, the range on my trebuchet is inaccurate because the golf ball has less drag than expected. This could be caused by the ball's aerodynamic properties or by the angle at which it is launched.
kingbabi
After having set up a trebuchet in my back yard, I decided it would be a fun excersise to predict the range of the projectiles launched. Now, I'm not nearly experienced enough at physics to take into account a hinger counterweight or a sling, so I removed those from the machine.Instead I used a fixed counterweight (8 kg of barbell weights attached to a 0.5 kg bolt) on the short arm and a small cup on the long arm, using a golf ball as a projectile. I set up some calculations (essentially setting initial PE equal to the final KE) to determine the velocity and range of the golf ball. The numbers seem to be perfect for the velocity (I used a high-speed camera and a grid to verify this) at 7 m/s, but it is the range that is inaccurate. I'm launching at 45 degrees from a height of 1.3 meters, which, according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Range_of_a_projectile" should give me a range of 6 meters. In practice, I'm getting slightly less than 5. I assume the drag isn't much of an issue, so what would you wager is causing the discrepancy? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

kingbabi said:
… the golf ball …

I assume the drag isn't much of an issue …

Hi kingbabi! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Golf-balls are very aerodynamic, with their little dimples. :wink:

The maximum range when hitting a golf-ball is at an angle a lot less than 45º, isn't it?

Have you tried it with an ordinary (undimpled) ball? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi kingbabi! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Golf-balls are very aerodynamic, with their little dimples. :wink:

The maximum range when hitting a golf-ball is at an angle a lot less than 45º, isn't it?

Have you tried it with an ordinary (undimpled) ball? :smile:

Thanks for the welcome! I suppose I should try it with a similarly weighted but smooth ball; I could see that having a positive effect.

1. What is a trebuchet?

A trebuchet is a type of siege engine used in medieval warfare to launch projectiles, such as rocks or other objects, at enemy fortifications.

2. How does a trebuchet work?

A trebuchet works by using a counterweight to pull down one end of a long arm, which then releases and flings the projectile attached to the other end of the arm.

3. What factors affect the range of a projectile from a trebuchet?

The range of a projectile from a trebuchet is affected by factors such as the weight of the projectile, the length of the throwing arm, and the angle at which the projectile is launched.

4. How far can a trebuchet launch a projectile?

The range of a projectile from a trebuchet can vary depending on the design and construction of the trebuchet, but it is typically between 300-400 meters.

5. Are there any modern uses for trebuchets?

Although trebuchets are primarily associated with medieval warfare, there are some modern uses for them, such as in pumpkin chunkin competitions or for educational purposes in physics and engineering classes.