How can I accurately measure the diameter of a hole using digital photography?

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for measuring the diameter of a hole using digital photography. The participants suggest adjusting camera settings and using image processing software to estimate the center of the hole by measuring the distance to the mid-grey level pixels. They also mention the limitations of this method and suggest using a microscope for more accurate results. The purpose and size of the hole are also mentioned as factors to consider in choosing a measurement method.
Irja
Hello,

I am trying to measure diameter of the hole in my equipment by doing the photography with digital camera.

The result is in the picture.

If I am calculating the pixels - shall I consider only the "pure white" ones or also the grey pixels? Are the gray pixels parts of the hole or it's just the diffraction? If I shall also consider the gray ones, how shall I justify including them?

Attachments

• hole.jpg
    hole.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 330
Physics news on Phys.org
First can you set the camera to save anything other than jpeg? This will help avoid the artifacts where there is a big change in brightness.
You want to measure across the 50% grey level pixels, however you do it will only be an estimate.
I would load the picture into an image package and estimate the centre of the hole, then make as many radial distance measurements to an estimate of the mid grey at different angles and average them.
You could also try setting the image to pure black/white and trying the same thing.

It probably isn't worth trying to get more complicated with automatic fitting routines with a poor image - you would be betterr off getting a microscope.

I second mgb- your 'measurement' isn't accurate enough to give you results worth anything.

That said, the method you are using (but done under very controlled circumstances) is what is used to locate the center of objects to sub-pixel resolutions. That's useful for studying molecular motors, for example. Or colloid dynamics.

I guess I should ask why you are measuring the hole diameter? About how big is the hole- microns or millimeters? There's lots of ways to measure a diameter.

1. What is diffraction and how does it relate to hole diameter?

Diffraction is the bending or spreading of waves as they pass through an opening or around an obstacle. The size of the hole plays a role in determining the amount of diffraction that occurs. As the hole diameter decreases, the amount of diffraction increases.

2. How does the size of the hole affect the diffraction pattern?

The size of the hole directly impacts the diffraction pattern. A smaller hole will produce a wider diffraction pattern, while a larger hole will produce a narrower pattern.

3. What is the relationship between hole diameter and wavelength of light?

The relationship between hole diameter and wavelength of light is known as the Rayleigh criterion. It states that for a clear diffraction pattern to form, the diameter of the hole should be at least the same size as the wavelength of light.

4. Can diffraction occur with any type of light?

Yes, diffraction can occur with any type of light, including visible light, infrared light, ultraviolet light, and even radio waves. It is a fundamental property of waves.

5. How is the diffraction pattern affected by the shape of the hole?

The shape of the hole can affect the diffraction pattern in different ways. For example, a circular hole will produce a circular diffraction pattern, while a square hole will produce a square pattern. The number and position of the diffraction maxima and minima will also vary depending on the shape of the hole.