Solving Hypergeometric D.E. w/ Heun Eq & Quadratic Accessory Parameter

In summary, the Heun equation is a generalization of the hypergeometric D.E. to the case of four regular singular points. It takes the form of a quadratic equation with singular points at z=0,1,a,and infinity. Using the indicial equation, we can find the exponents at the regular singular points. For part (b), if k_4=0, the Heun equation reduces to a hypergeometric equation and the general solution is free of logarithms. For part (c), if k_4=-1, we can obtain a quadratic equation for the accessory parameter c_5 and use it to find the general solution for this special case. The method of Frobenius can be used to find the
wayfarer

Homework Statement

The Heun equation is a generalization of the hypergeometric D.E. to the case
of four regular singular points. With the singular points at z=0,1,a,and inft,
the Heun equation takes the form,
z(z-1)(z-a)w''+(c_1*z^2+c_2*z+c_3)w'+(c_4*z+c_5)w=0
(a) In terms of k_1, k_2, k_3, k_4 and a, calculate c_1, c_2, c_3, c_4 and e,
such that the Riemann P-function for this Heun equation is
w=P( 0 a 1 inft )
( 0 0 0 k_1 z)
( 1-k_3 1-k_4 1-e k_2 )
(b) In the special case when k_4=0 and the general solution is free of
logarithms at z=a, show that the Heun equation reduces to a hypergeometric
equation. Give the general solution in terms of hypergeometric functions.
(c) Obtain a quadratic equation for the accessory parameter c_5 in the
special case when k_4=-1 and the general solution is free of logarithms at
z=a. (In this case, z=a is an apparent singularity of the differential equation)

Homework Equations

Um i guess the indicial equation to find the exponents at the regular singular points. What i wasn't sure about was that from the equations, i found that k_1+k_2+k_3+k_4+e=1 necessarily.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done part (a) using indicial equations to find exponents, and then equate.
Part B: From part a, i got using indicial equations that k_4=0 implies that c_1*a^2+c_2*a+c_3=0, so c_1*z^2+c_2*z+c_3 = c_1*(z-a)*(z-a') for some number a'. Then in the equation, if c_4*z+c_5 has a as a factor, i.e. c_5=-a*c_4, then we can divide through by z-a and get a hypergeometric D.E. So i need to prove that if the general solution is free of logarithms, then c_5=-a*c_4; I'm not quite sure how to do it rigorously. I tried doing it by using a power series about z=a, and proved that we reach a contradiction if there are no terms of negative power (i.e. (z-a)^(-t)) in the Laurent series, but I'm not sure how to justify that.
for part (c ), I'm clueless.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for your post! The Heun equation is a very interesting and important topic in mathematics, and I would be happy to help you with your questions.

For part (b), you are on the right track. To show that the Heun equation reduces to a hypergeometric equation, we can use the fact that if k_4=0, then c_4*z+c_5=c_4*(z-a), and we can divide through by (z-a) to get a hypergeometric equation. To show that the general solution is free of logarithms, we can use the method of Frobenius to find the coefficients of the Laurent series about z=a, and then show that there are no terms of negative power in the series. This would imply that c_5=-a*c_4, and therefore the general solution is free of logarithms.

For part (c), we can use the fact that if k_4=-1, then c_4*z+c_5=c_4*(z-a)+c_5, and we can also use the method of Frobenius to find the coefficients of the Laurent series about z=a. Then, we can equate the coefficients of the (z-a)^(-2) term to get a quadratic equation for c_5. This would give us the value of c_5 in terms of the other parameters, and we can use this to find the general solution for this special case.

I hope this helps you with your homework. Good luck!

1. What is a hypergeometric differential equation?

A hypergeometric differential equation is a type of differential equation that can be expressed in terms of the hypergeometric function. It involves derivatives of a function and can be solved using various methods, such as power series or the Heun equation.

2. What is the Heun equation?

The Heun equation is a special type of differential equation that can be used to solve certain types of hypergeometric differential equations. It is a second-order differential equation with four regular singular points, and its solution involves the Heun function.

3. What is a quadratic accessory parameter?

A quadratic accessory parameter is a term that is added to the Heun equation to make it solvable. It is a quadratic polynomial in the independent variable and is used to modify the regular singular points of the equation.

4. How do you solve a hypergeometric differential equation with the Heun equation and quadratic accessory parameter?

To solve a hypergeometric differential equation with the Heun equation and quadratic accessory parameter, you first need to rewrite the equation in the form of the Heun equation. Then, you can use various methods such as power series or asymptotic expansions to find the solution.

5. What are the applications of solving hypergeometric differential equations with the Heun equation and quadratic accessory parameter?

Solving hypergeometric differential equations with the Heun equation and quadratic accessory parameter has a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It can be used to model physical systems, analyze data, and make predictions about various phenomena.