Energy:Momentum relationship

In summary, the mass of car A is greater than the mass of car B. This results in car A having a greater kinetic energy (KE) than car B.
avenkat0

Homework Statement

Car A has a greater mass than car B. Let:

- KA = the kinetic energy of car A
- KB = the kinetic energy of car B
- pA = the magnitude of the momentum of car A
- pB = the magnitude of the momentum of car B
- vA = the speed of car A
- vB = the speed of car B

a) If car A and car B have the same kinetic energy (KA = KB), then

Homework Equations

p=mv
Ke= .5(m)(v^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to set up a situation:
Car A- 10 kg Car B- 5kg Ke=20 J
.5(10)(v^2) = 20 .5(5)(v^2)=20
v= 2 m/s v= 2.828 THEREFORE Vb > Va
Pa=10(2) = 20 Pb=5(2.828) THEREFORE Pb < Pa

But the selection Pb<Pa and Vb>Va is wrong
Is there a flaw in my reasoning
thank you for your help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
with Ma=2 and Mb=1 and Ke=10
im getting

Va=3.162
Vb=4.47

MVa=6.92
MVb=4.47

Vb>Va and MVb<MVa

same result as earlier and its wrong

avenkat0 said:
with Ma=2 and Mb=1 and Ke=10
im getting

Va=3.162
Vb=4.47

MVa=6.92
MVb=4.47

Vb>Va and MVb<MVa

same result as earlier and its wrong
I deleted my previous post because you edited your post after I had replied and therefore my previous post didn't make sense.

sorry about that it was a typo

Your answers look fine. You should, though, try to prove the relations in general, not just for particular values of mass, speed, etc.

the answer itself is wrong.
But i tried graphing the m: ke function and it shows that when the mass increases the Velocity decreases
and when the mass increases the momentum increases...
im confuzed haha what am i doing wrong here

pB < pA and vB > vA

was the answer i selected and it came out to be wrong

pB<pA and vB>vA are the correct answers. Who says it's wrong?

the professor... thanks for your help now that i know that i have someone to confirm it i guess i can email him

good luck :-)

1. What is the Energy:Momentum relationship?

The Energy:Momentum relationship, also known as the energy-momentum equation or the relativistic energy-momentum relation, is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the relationship between energy and momentum for an object moving at relativistic speeds. It is derived from Einstein's theory of special relativity and is represented by the equation E2 = (pc)2 + (mc2)2, where E is energy, p is momentum, and m is mass.

2. How is the Energy:Momentum relationship different from classical physics?

In classical physics, the energy of an object is given by the equation E = 1/2mv2 and the momentum by p = mv. However, at high speeds close to the speed of light, these equations are no longer accurate and the energy-momentum relation must be used instead. This is because in classical physics, mass is considered to be a constant, while in special relativity, it is a variable that changes with the object's velocity.

3. How does the Energy:Momentum relationship impact particle accelerators?

The Energy:Momentum relationship is crucial in the design and operation of particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider. These machines accelerate particles to near the speed of light, where classical physics is no longer applicable. The energy-momentum relation is used to calculate the energy and momentum of the particles, which allows scientists to study the properties and behavior of subatomic particles.

4. Can the Energy:Momentum relationship be applied to all types of energy?

Yes, the Energy:Momentum relationship is a universal principle that applies to all forms of energy, including kinetic energy, potential energy, and even mass-energy. It is a fundamental principle of nature that governs the behavior of particles at high speeds and is essential in understanding the structure and dynamics of the universe.

5. How is the Energy:Momentum relationship relevant to everyday life?

The Energy:Momentum relationship may seem abstract and only applicable to extreme speeds, but it has many practical applications in everyday life. For example, it helps explain the behavior of particles in nuclear reactions, the operation of particle accelerators, and the production of energy in nuclear power plants. It also has implications for space travel and the understanding of the universe as a whole.