ETH Zurich Researchers Break 1 Million RPM Motor Barrier

In summary, researchers have developed a drive system capable of achieving over 1,000,000 revolutions per minute, a significant increase from the previous industry standard of 250,000 rpm. The system is extremely small and utilizes impressive bearings with a dN of 1 million. The potential applications for this technology are still uncertain.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/11/081114081213.htm

Up to now, industrially-deployed motors have normally reached 250,000 revolutions per minute. Now, however, researchers from ETH Zurich’s Department of Power Electronics have developed a drive system in cooperation with its industrial partners that can achieve over 1,000,000 rpm.

Engineering news on Phys.org
That's pretty cool. The first thing I thought was "how small is this thing going to be?" It is indeed tiny. I am most impressed by the bearings. Even with a ID of 1 mm, the dN for those things would still be 1 million which is pretty sporty.

It's a shame they can't go into a bit more detail in the story.

I'm surprised they didn't use some sort of air bearing.

I'm not sure if I want my dentist to find out about this or not.

1. What is ETH Zurich Researchers Break 1 Million RPM Motor Barrier?

ETH Zurich Researchers Break 1 Million RPM Motor Barrier is a breakthrough in motor technology achieved by researchers at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich. They were able to develop a motor that can reach speeds of up to 1 million revolutions per minute (RPM), breaking the previous record of 100,000 RPM.

2. How did the researchers achieve this breakthrough?

The researchers used a combination of advanced materials, design optimization, and precision engineering to develop the high-speed motor. They also utilized a specialized cooling system to prevent overheating at such high speeds.

3. What are the potential applications of this technology?

This technology has the potential to be used in a wide range of industries, including aerospace, automotive, and robotics. It could also be used in medical devices such as centrifuges and pumps.

4. What are the benefits of a motor that can reach 1 million RPM?

A motor with such high speeds can lead to increased efficiency, reduced size and weight, and improved performance in various applications. It can also open up new possibilities for high-speed precision machining and manufacturing processes.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to this technology?

While this breakthrough has the potential for significant advancements, there are still challenges to be addressed, such as the high cost of materials and the complexity of the cooling system. There may also be limitations in the types of applications that can effectively utilize a motor with such high speeds.