Magnetic Induction In terms of Creating Charge

In summary, the traffic lights are using the induction as a sensor, and rely on the moving car, and not as a power source. It is not practical to charge a battery this way.
marias3
Hi,
I'm an industrial designer and I was wondering if there is a way to charge a battery through magnetic induction. I have heard that the way some stop lights work is there are coils below the road, and when the steel body of a car goes over it, it creates a change in charge in those coils. Is there a way a similar idea could be used to charge small batteries?
thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would think that it is possible however it is not practical.

The traffic lights are using the induction as a sensor, and rely on the moving car, and not as a power source.

If you wanted to charge a battery by the same principal, say in a lab, you would have to physically move something to create that induction, for example youself, or maybe a motor moving a magnetic core through the solenoid, which in turn uses power from another source.

So why not just use the power to charge the battery straight from the main source of power?

Hope that helps

I was hoping to rig up some sort of device that could power the pedestrian/street lights via the traffic that goes over them. Also I was hoping this would be a cheaper solution than using solar power in areas where there might not already be power lines. is this feasible?

If you do some quick calculations with Faradays law you will start to see the problem. A very small voltage would be created across a winding under the road, due to a number of things; The car being realitivlty far from the coil, the coil is underground, cars may not come past so energy would need to be stored. So you would not get enough power out of one coil.

If a lightbulb is ~75W or so, you are not going to create enough energy to run these lightbulbs all night. At a guess you would need probably 20-30 large coils, under a busy road were the cars are going >80km, to start to even get the energy you need. Just a guess though I didn't do the calculations :-)
Who knows, maybe a smart idea will get around this problem...

1. How does magnetic induction create charge?

Magnetic induction occurs when a magnetic field is able to induce an electric current in a conductor. When a magnet moves near a conductor or when there is a change in the magnetic field near the conductor, it creates a flow of electrons, which results in the creation of charge.

2. What is the role of Faraday's Law in magnetic induction?

Faraday's Law states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electric current in a conductor. This is the basis of magnetic induction and the creation of charge. It helps explain the relationship between electricity and magnetism.

3. How is magnetic induction used in everyday devices?

Magnetic induction is used in a variety of everyday devices, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in wireless charging, with the use of magnetic induction to transfer energy between a charging pad and a device.

4. Can magnetic induction create an unlimited amount of charge?

No, magnetic induction is limited by the strength of the magnetic field and the ability of the conductor to carry current. If the magnetic field is too weak or the conductor cannot carry enough current, then the amount of charge that can be created will also be limited.

5. Are there any potential hazards associated with magnetic induction and creating charge?

Yes, there can be potential hazards associated with magnetic induction and creating charge. High levels of magnetic fields can be harmful to living organisms, and the flow of electric current can also be dangerous if proper precautions are not taken. It is important to follow safety guidelines and regulations when working with magnetic induction and electricity.