Flux of F over the surface of a cube

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the flux of a vector field over the surface of a cube using the outer normal. The divergence theorem is mentioned as a possible method, but the questioner is getting a result of 0 and is unsure why. The respondent suggests using dot product and integration to find the flux, and clarifies that the integrals for the sides of the cube should be split into two each. Eventually, the questioner realizes their mistake and thanks the respondent for their help.
Moragor

Homework Statement

Find the flux of F over the surface of the cube with vertices [tex]( \pm 1, \pm 1, \pm 1)[/tex] using the outer normal.
F(x,y,z)=(x+y)i+zj+xzk

Homework Equations

Flux of F over S is
[tex]\iint F \cdot n dS[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the normal should be 1 in the respective directions for each side of the cube, and I keep getting 0 when I try to work out the math.

Physics news on Phys.org
I used the divergence theorem, and I don't get zero. How did you get zero?

Well that would make sense, the divergence theorem is the next section, haha. I was just following the example in the book multiplying the normal and F and finding the integral? (for each side, since it isn't continuous)

Do you know any more elementary ways to do it?

If you don't have the divergence theorem, then you just have to do what you said. Dot the normal with F over each face integrate and sum them. You should get the same answer. It's not that hard and you can do it that way. But since you didn't tell us how you got zero out of it, it's hard to say what you are doing wrong.

I did these three integrals
[tex]\iint (1+y) dydz[/tex]
[tex]\iint z dxdz[/tex]
[tex]\iint x dxdy[/tex]

With -1 to 1 as the limits for all three. Do I need to split those up into two each for each side? I feel like I do but I'm not sure how to do that.

Yes, [tex]\int_{-1}^1\int_{-1}^1 z dxdz= 0[/tex] and [tex]\int_{-1}^1\int_{-1}^1 x dydx= 0[/itex], but [tex]\int_{-1}^1\int_{-1}^1(y+1) dydz[/itex] is NOT 0.

Alright, that was my problem, I figured it out now.

Thanks!

1. What is "Flux of F over the surface of a cube"?

The flux of F over the surface of a cube is a mathematical concept that represents the flow of a vector field (F) through the surface of a cube in three-dimensional space.

2. How is the flux of F over the surface of a cube calculated?

The flux of F over the surface of a cube can be calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field (F) and the unit normal vector to the surface of the cube, multiplied by the surface area of the cube.

3. What does the flux of F over the surface of a cube represent?

The flux of F over the surface of a cube represents the amount of fluid or energy passing through the surface of the cube per unit time.

4. What factors can affect the flux of F over the surface of a cube?

The flux of F over the surface of a cube can be affected by the magnitude and direction of the vector field (F), the orientation of the surface of the cube, and the size of the cube's surface area.

5. How is the concept of flux of F over the surface of a cube used in real-world applications?

The concept of flux of F over the surface of a cube is used in various fields such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer to analyze and understand the flow of fluids, electric and magnetic fields, and heat through surfaces and boundaries.